New plug throwing circuit

Old 08-20-07, 11:32 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New plug throwing circuit

I will try to explain this the best I can, I do have an electrician coming out but would like to know what could be causing this problem. We have one plug in a bathroom, and when my daughter was visiting, it started smoking while she was running her hair dryer. The old plug was NOT a GFCI type plug, maybe because our house was built in 1981 and it wasn't required then (?). Anyway my husband replaced it with a GFCI plug and now everytime we try to turn on the light switch in the gameroom (adjacent to BR) it throws the GFCI. I told my husband to put a plug like the old one in, but he said the GFCI plug should work. What's the deal, the old plug worked fine for 26 years, and would it be dangerous to just put a plain one in (not GFCI type)? Thanks for your help and opinions.

Old 08-20-07, 11:43 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You'll have to tell us how he connected the new GFCI receptacle. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark guessing at any number of possible explanations.

Old 08-20-07, 11:47 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
> I told my husband to put a plug like the old one in, but he said the GFCI
> plug should work.

The GFCI is the correct receptacle to use in a bathroom. The fact that it is tripping means that either the GFCI is faulty, you have a problem with the circuit which may pose a hazard, or that the GFCI receptacle is wired incorrectly.

> would it be dangerous to just put a plain one in (not GFCI type)?

It's difficult to quantify danger, but by electrical code the only legal solution is to install a GFCI receptacle in the bathroom.

Old 08-20-07, 11:54 AM
S
new plug throwing circuit

My husband is not much of a handy-man, but he did follow the directions that came with the plug, and the plug works fine. The other rooms work OK too, just the light switch in the den. When did they start putting GFCI plugs in houses, and could it be that since the original plug was not that type, that it would not work in that bathroom? Should everyone who lives in older homes replace all plugs in their bathrooms with the GFCI type, even if they are not having problems?

Old 08-20-07, 12:09 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
> just the light switch in the den.

There could be a problem with that switch or light fixture which is causing the GFCI to trip.

> When did they start putting GFCI plugs in houses

Late '70s to the '80s.

> and could it be that since the original plug was not that type, that it would
> not work in that bathroom?

No, a GFCI receptacle should work anywhere if installed correctly.

> Should everyone who lives in older homes replace all plugs in their
> bathrooms with the GFCI type, even if they are not having problems?

It's a good idea. Many home buyers will request this upgrade as a condition of sale. The GFCI receptacles aren't intended to "work better" than plain receptacles, they are for safety. GFCI receptacles automatically disconnect power to prevent electrocution if a hair dryer gets dropped into the sink, for example.

Old 08-20-07, 01:24 PM
P
IF the original receptacle was wired with a Black & White "pair" on the top terminals, and another Black & White pair on the bottom terminals, and he wired the GFI receptacle similiar to the original receptacle,a 4-wire connection to the GFI, the wires on the "Load" terminals are GFI protected. It's not unusual that the GFI would "trip" when it's "protecting" old wiring-- GFI devices are "ultra-sensitive".

Your hubby probably can correct the problem if the GFI was wired as described above.

Old 08-20-07, 01:31 PM
S
new plug throwing circuit

How should he connect the wires to correct that problem?

Old 08-20-07, 02:36 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tell your husband to connect all the wires to the LINE side and none to the LOAD side. It may require wire nuts and pigtails (short segments of wire) to do this, or maybe there are enough connections on the LINE side without them. This should fix the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: