AFCI shared neutral problem

Old 08-20-07, 02:09 PM
Rik
AFCI shared neutral problem

We are remodeling a bedroom and so must add AFCI protection. When I opened up the panel (Square D QO) I found that I have 2 circuits sharing a neutral wire. As Square D doesn't make a two pole AFCI breaker, I thought about combining the 2 circuits into one. The bedroom circuit has 7 receptacles, a ceiling fan and a light fixture. The other circuit has 3 light fixtures and 6 interconnected smokes. Bad idea to combine? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-07, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's probably okay, but you'll need to check with the building inspector for the local rules regarding smokes. Sometimes local rules are very strict about what can and cannot share a circuit with the smokes. You may need to add a small subpanel which can accommodate a 2-pole AFCI; I believe Cutler-Hammer makes one.

Old 08-20-07, 05:55 PM
looks ok but i will suggest just run that by the inspector because there are some states do adpoted the AFCI codes and some dont and unforetally the SqD did not make AFCI in two pole verison to read the common netural but i am sure they will make one and get it on market soon,

the same with other namebrand breaker but IMO i know CH [ clutterHammer ] do make one for MWBC AFCI type and i think they do come in combo verison too but they are not cheap btw

some bigbox store may stock this but if not check with the electrical supply centre

Merci , Marc