Breaker keeps tripping

Old 10-01-09, 07:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Breaker keeps tripping

I have a heat pump that keeps tripping while on cooling cycle. I have changed the contactor on the outside unit and checked everything I know to check but here is the kicker. It only throws the breaker when the resident runs the washer and dryer for an extended amount of time but does not kick the breaker for them. Also the heat pump should be on a completely different circuit by its self however I am sure this is the only common situation that I can find. Unit runs fine until saturdays when she does most of here laundry. I called out HVAC professional and he swears nothing is wrong with the unit, any suggestions???????

Old 10-01-09, 07:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Could be a loose stab in the breaker panel causing the breaker to overheat. Perhaps even just overheating in general inside the panel from the dryer breaker.

I'd open up the panel and look for evidence of heat damage like corrosion or pitting on the bus bars, melted wires, funky smells, etc.

Old 10-01-09, 01:24 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Presuming the dryer is electric, are the breakers for the HP and the dryer side-to side ?

Old 10-01-09, 04:44 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is the thermostat located near the laundry room?

If so, it could be causing the a/c to short cycle, not leaving enough time before cut-in and cut-out for the pressure to equalize on the compressor causing a "locked rotor" situation and tripping the breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: