2007 Nec For Wiring Attic Crawl Spaces

Old 08-21-07, 02:42 PM

I have added an attic living space. The conjuncture that meets my roof rafters, top plate, and top of my ceiling joists is PLENTY of room to run my wire circuits. I have 1 1/2 feet wide of top joist space before it meets my top plate. Also my roof has open cell foam insulation and I will spray my exterior walls as well once all my wires are in place. This area where I want to run will not be walked on by any means because a central A/C unit was installed. The wires would be near R-8 insulated ducts that run off the A/C. It is a perfect place to run my circuits and home runs. Will the 2007 NEC still require me to use conduit for wire protection?

Thanks to all who respond...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-07, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the wiring in the attic is in an area where a person cannot walk or cannot be used for storage (this condition is up to the inspector to determine), then it does not need any additional protection. The standard rules for support still apply, however; which means NM cable needs to be stapled to or go through a bore-hole in the framing at least every 4.5'.

If the inspector does determine that you need protection in that area, then all you need to do it run the cables alongside a 2x4 nailed to the joists. A 2x4 is considered to be a substantial framing member suitable for protection of cables.

Also, you cannot have NM cable directly exposed to living areas without a drywall barrier; does this room have that?

Old 08-21-07, 03:08 PM
First of all there is no 2007 NEC. The National Electrical Code is issued on a three year cycle. The current edition is the 2005 cycle and a new edition is scheduled for next year.

One thing that most people are unaware of is that the NEC has no power of enforcement; it is NOT law unless and until enacted to law by a local jurisdiction. That local jurisdiction may be a city, county or state governmental body.

Enactment to law is not automatic and a jurisdiction may be enforcing an earlier edition of the NEC.

Further, a local jurisdiction has the power to add to or delete from any part of the NEC.

You must always check your LOCAL code for what is allowed in your area.

Old 08-21-07, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"Also, you cannot have NM cable directly exposed to living areas without a drywall barrier; does this room have that?"

ibpooks, I am curious as to where this comes from.

Old 08-21-07, 04:39 PM
2007 NEC For Wiring Attic Crawl Spaces

I was a bit "stumped" when a licensed electrician told me that there was a 2007 NEC. Last I heard was 2005 so I know to stay away from him. Thanks for that clarification..

As to the "walking" area in my attic...no one will be walking even near where the wires will run...unless they are under 2 feet tall! The space will totally be impassable. Thank you so very much for your help....

Best regards

Old 08-21-07, 04:44 PM

I am sorry Speedy Petey...to address the issue....no -the wires will not be exposed to any living area and will be covered with drywall.....thanks so much for your timely advice....greatly appreciated....have a good one

Ms. Mardigras

Old 08-21-07, 05:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, my question was to ibpooks. The code he quoted is for commercial and multi-family dwellings. One and two family dwellings have no such restriction.

Old 08-22-07, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I was a bit "stumped" when a licensed electrician told me that there was
> a 2007 NEC

Your city or state may publish building codes on different years, so you may actually have a 2007 building code. It wouldn't be exactly NEC, but most state electrical codes are slight modifications of the NEC.

> Speedy

I guess it's not in the NEC; most of the cities around here enforce it as part of the building code. Living areas cannot have exposed wiring, plumbing or insulation and must have a "finished walls, floor and ceiling". Exposed wiring is allowed in unfinished basements, attics, and garages, but once classified as "living space", everything must be concealed with drywall or drop ceiling.