Wiring problem on 1/2 hp GE 110 v Motor

Old 08-21-07, 03:30 PM
Wiring problem on 1/2 hp GE 110 v Motor

I have a Mower Blade Sharpener which would give me a shock when using it unless I ran a separate wire to ground. I advised the manufacturer and they sent me a new switch package. I can not figure out the wiring diagram to install the wiring to the motor itself. There are 4 wires coming from the motor to the plate which is mounted on the motor.
The moter is reversable by the switch !. There is a throwout system which takes effect after the motor begins turning. When the throughout kicks in, The motor stops running and turns free until it comes to a complete stop.
If there is someone out there who may be familiar with this type of wiring, I can provide you with the Motor Model, Diagram, etc, !

Thanks.. Futures1

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-07, 07:20 PM
I've done a fair amount of motor control and troubleshooting. Send me the diagrams and I'll take a shot at it. Just PM me and I'll give you an email addy.

Old 08-21-07, 09:51 PM
Smile

I believe what you call a throw-out switch is a centrifigul switch that is supposed to only kill the power to your start winding when the motor gets to about 3/4 of your full speed. Does the switch you speak of have a mechanical lever that is inserted into the motor body itself? The wires are probably going to a start winding, 2 different run windings and to the common of your motor. I'm sure Rollie will figure it all out for you. Just thought I'd include my two cents (lol)

Old 08-24-07, 11:11 AM
1/2 hp GE electric motor

I have some diagrams which I can not decipher for a couple of reasons.
The throughout is a centrifically operated mechanical switch within the motor itself. I has a point contact (s) on it which I have cleaned.

I do not know how to get the Diagram (s) and/or Drawings to you however.
This forum is new to me !!

Old 08-24-07, 11:49 AM
Smile

Perhaps you can describe in great detail the color of every single wire from the motor and all the wires on the switch and where they are connected. All the marking on the switch etc. Perhaps the letter L ,1,2 etc on the switch body. If you have a 20k ohm continuity tester perhaps you can find the resistance in ohms of each winding (if you know how to do it) and figure which wire is common start and run windings. In a typical A/C compressor motor there is a little procedure that you can do to quickly figure this out.

Old 08-24-07, 12:41 PM
why is the switch suspect?

The problem is leakage, which as well could be the stator windings. If I didn't have a ohmeter, i'd take it to any motor shop and have them put a megger on it. If you do have a ohmeter, you might be able to find the leakage before you start swapping out moving parts.

Old 08-24-07, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, sidecutter, hopefully I can get it all ciphered.

Old 08-24-07, 08:23 PM
Smile

Your welcome Rollie. Perhaps we can call on "Lisa". She sems to know everything (lol)

Old 08-24-07, 10:34 PM
this is very typical if your motor is capactior start motor type if so here is the connection digram is

line 1 = incomming wire [Black ]

line 2 incomming wire [ white ]

the main winding [ run ] is useally 1 and 4

the starting winding aka aux winding is 8 and 5

some motor will have thermal protector in there it will marked P1 and P2 the P1 and P2 useally wired in factory in series of one of the line

ok for CCW connection hook the line 1 with 1,8 together and Line 2 hook 4,5

for CW roation Line 1 with 1,5 and line 2 with 4,8

also it should have colour wired as well if that have it

motor lead #1 blue
motor lead #2 white
motor lead #3 orange
motor lead #4 yellow
motor lead #5 black
motor lead #6 no colour assigned
motor lead #7 no colour assigned
motor lead #8 red
P1 lead no colour assigned
P2 brown

also many motor will have a number or letter on them as well

keep in your mind this is a single votlage hook up

and if the connection dont match up please just stop here and get the correct model number i can find it real quick

if the motor have DUAL voltage PLEASE stop here and let us know i will put up diffrent chart for that

Merci, Marc

Old 08-24-07, 11:18 PM
Smile

Hey Rollie I guess wer'e of the hook (lol) Viva La France

Old 08-25-07, 08:22 PM
Feel like I just pressed that stupid " EASY" button . Whew, That was easy.