Re-routing electrical in bathroom

Old 08-22-07, 10:47 AM
Re-routing electrical in bathroom

Hello,

We just moved into our first home and are planning a bathroom remodeling project. The bathroom lights are wired from the ceiling and above the vanity; what is the best way to re-route the wires onto the horizontal wall?

The bathroom wall is shared with the master bedroom wall. I've have done some electrical work before but have never changed the position of the wires before.

Thanks!
dave

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-07, 11:55 AM
If the remodel will include removing the drywall, then all will become clear when you can see the cable. It will be easy to tell whether the cable can reach where you want it to go.

If the cable is behind the drywall and not visible, there's no really good way to know its routing.

You could, of course, simply run new cable from the old location to the new location and leave all existing cable where it is. You would, however, have to leave a permanently accessible junction box at the old location.

It's pretty hard to be more specific without being able to see your bathroom and see your remodel plans.

Old 08-22-07, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, it depends a lot on how the existing wires run. Often it's better to abandon or rip out the old wiring and run new where you want it.

How extensive is your remodel? You may need to run a new 20A circuit to the bathroom anyway to meet modern code.

Old 08-23-07, 07:30 AM
Exactly what "type" of outlet-boxes are in the "existing" B-R ? by "type", we mean switch / fixture / receptacle outlet boxes.

And where is each box presently located , and where will new boxes, if any, be located, and for what purpose ?

Please consider a ventilating in your project. There MIGHT be less patching, and less work routing cables , if you use MR sheetrock to cover the existing ceiling "after the damage is done"

Good Luck, & Leran & Enjoy from the Experience!!!

Old 08-23-07, 10:18 AM
PATTBAA,

The lights are wired through a standard junction box which in turn is wired from the main switch in the bathroom...I'm not certain what you are asking.

As far as location, I will venture a guess and say that the light fixture is about 6 inches from the verical wall and about 24" from the perpendicular wall where the on/off switch is.

Do you mean a ventilating fan? There is already one installed.

dave

Old 08-23-07, 11:02 AM
An "outlet-box" is a connection-point where fixtures , switches, and receptacles connect to the cables that are inside the walls and ceiling.

Do you NOW have any fixture outlet-boxes on the ceiling--- 1,2,? is there a switch outlet box on a wall? 1,2,3 switches? what do they control ? --- is there a fixture outlet box on a wall ? ---- is there a receptacle outlet-box on a wall ?

We need an accurate description of the existing wiring as is, and also an accurate description of what are you attemting to accomplish by re-wiring.

Be prepared: we MAY need an exact description of ALL the exsiting wire- connections in all of the outlet-boxes; but first, inform us of what you propose to do.

Good to know you already have a ventilating fan.

Old 08-27-07, 10:18 AM
Possible Solution

PATTBAA-

Yes, I have one fixture box on the ceiling (where the lights are wired to), one switch outlet box on the vertical wall, and one GFCI receptical box next to the switch box.

It was suggested to me that perhaps I can simply fish the wires from the ceiling's outlet box to a newly cut hole in the vertical wall.

I won't be starting this project for a few weeks as we just moved in this past weekend.

Old 08-27-07, 01:01 PM
At the risk of being perceived as a "W-A", or appearing as didactic , please allow me to point out that the phrase " vertical wall" is redundant.

We now need to know what modifications/ additions you are planning for the existing wiring. Also, the number of existing switches-- are there 2, one for the fan, one for the ceiling fixture, in the same outlet-box?

Old 08-28-07, 10:22 AM
One switch for the fan, one for the lights, same outlet box.

So do you even know a solution to my original question of how to route the wires to the other wall? All I was looking for was an answer such like "you must first turn off the power to the bathroom, disconnect the wires from the attic, then cut a new hole for the outlet box, then fish the wires to the new location...".

Old 08-28-07, 10:30 AM
Do not attempt to move the existing wires. They are (if installed properly and installed before the walls were put up) stapled to the studs and you won;t be able to pull them. Instead look to install new wires to the locations you want them.

Old 08-28-07, 02:57 PM
Unless I'm "missing something", DC has yet to explain what he's trying to do.

"We need
to know what modifications/ additions you are planing for the existing wiring"

"We need an
accurate description of what you are attempting to accomplish by re-wiring"

As best I know, there is NOW a vent-fan, ceiling fixture, a 2-gang switch-box , and an ouitlet-box with a GFI receptacle.

And next---------- ?

Old 08-29-07, 10:27 AM
It is not my intention to sound like a wise guy or be rude, but I can't seem to get through to you PATTBAA. I don't know how I can explain this situation any simpler.

Thank you for giving me a straight answer racraft!!!!

Old 08-29-07, 12:49 PM
dc2295,
My guess is you have an attic above the bathroom? If this is the case, all you have to do is pull the cable from the switch out of the light box (along with any other cables that might be in the light box). Mount a junction box accessable from the attic to bring the cable(s) to. Then run some romex from that junction box down to your new location. Pretty simple. Just make sure that if there's more than 1 cable in the existing light box, that you keep track of what goes to what (I'd suggest marking them) and that all the power is off to any of the wires in the box (could be more than one circuit). You also want to make sure that you maintain a good ground (wherever there's a metal box you must bond the box to your ground with a ground screw). When all of the cables have been pulled out of the old light box it can then be removed and/or patched over.

Old 08-30-07, 10:48 AM
Thank you!

Thank you Brewcityc, this does sound rather simple to do. I have an unfinished attic so it will be very easy to remove the insulation and find the existing box.

A couple years ago, I wired in a new junction box to mount a ceiling fan and I'm expecting that this project will be as easy as the fan project.

dave