Subpanel recommendation

Old 08-22-07, 12:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Subpanel recommendation

Help- I have asked three people these questions and gotten three different answers. so I guess I need a wider sample size. Here goes. I plan to install a subpanel (all indoors) ( workshop) 50 feet from my main service panel . I will have six branch circuits ( one 240v 30 amp, two 120V 15 amp, two 120V 20 amp). The 30 amp circuit is for my large woodworking machines. The 15 amp is for lighting, and the 20 amp are for smaller power tools. The questions are:
1. What size should the subpanel be?
2. What size wire do I need for the feeder circuit ie power, neutral, equipment ground?
3: What size Nonmetalic conduit should I use for the easiest pull?

My calculations suggest a 100amp panel, a 3-3-3-6 wiring configuration, and a 1.25 conduit.

Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

Old 08-22-07, 12:50 PM
J
The answers to your questions depend on your planned usage patterns. You need to consider how many of these things may be running simultaneously.

Having said that, you'll get excellent flexibility running 6/3 NM-B cable from a 60-amp breaker in the main panel. The subpanel rating can be anything 60 amps or higher.

Give the loads you've stated, I just can't see the need for 100 amps. But you can certainly do it if you want.

Old 08-22-07, 12:51 PM
P
You calculation is correct -- IF possible ,for the #3 conductors, use Black,Red, & White conductors, and Green for the EGC Good Luck with your project!!!

Old 08-22-07, 01:05 PM
R
John- thanks for the reply- followup question. I have to enter the main panel from the side and go up vertically along the basement wall to the joists. The question is What do I need to do to protect the vertical run?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: