Good Idea? Order a 20AMP Dedicated Single?

Old 08-22-07, 02:00 PM
Good Idea? Order a 20AMP Dedicated Single?

For my new build, I plan on building myself a party bar with a TV/Media center. I am worried that running the dishwasher or garbage disposer or microwave would drain power from the TV from time to time because they might be all on the same circuit.

My builder has no option for adding dedicated double 110V outlets so I am worried he'll just chain the extra outlets.

The only option for a dedicated line is a 110V 20AMP single. Could I use this plug attached to a power strip to power the TV and all the accessories? I'm thinking it's overkill but should work. And a power strip for surge protection is probably a good idea anyway.

Any thoughts or issues I might have missed? Thanks again all!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-07, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, it's recommened you have a dedicated 20 amp (if 12gage wire) for your tv and electronics.

What do you mean he has no option for a dedicated dual receptacle? I've never seen a single outlet receptacle before.

Old 08-22-07, 03:03 PM
"Yes, it's recommened you have a dedicated 20 amp (if 12gage wire) for your tv and electronics.

What do you mean he has no option for a dedicated dual receptacle? I've never seen a single outlet receptacle before."

Hi Mark, I meant that if I added an option for an extra 110V dual receptacle the builder would probably chain it to the other circuits instead of putting it on a dedicated circuit.

The single 20 AMP dedicated is usually done for refrigerators.

There is one option for a dual 110V 20AMP but it is GFCI. Is GFCI recommended for TV and electronics.

Old 08-22-07, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
So your saying he has a list and won't do it if it isn't printed on the list? If he's really not open to doing what you need maybe you need another builder.

Old 08-22-07, 03:57 PM
You will have to tell the electrician you want a dedicated circuit for the entertainment center. If you don't, then it won't be done.

It is common these days to have a dedicated circuit just for the TV and electronics that go with it.

You really don't need a GFCI for the entertainment center, but that's your call.

Old 08-22-07, 04:47 PM
Smile

Hi Mark__Sorry to butt in but am I wrong in my understanding that a T-sloted 20 amp receptacle only comes in a single outlet receptacle??? Just curious about your statement "I've never seen a single outlet receptacle before". Hope it's not to hot in OKC . Herb

Old 08-22-07, 05:49 PM
Monsterdaddy was not explaining it correctly.

When I mention dual outlet receptacle, I mean your standard outlet. The way I was understanding the OP is that he could only get a single outlet, which I have never seen.

I am also talking about just a regular 20 amp circuit, and if it has only one receptacle on it, the receptacle needs to be 20amp rated and not 15amp like typical receptacles.