Strange Wiring SetUp

Old 08-22-07, 07:23 PM
Strange Wiring SetUp

I have a meter with a 200 amp service box at the road with 0/2 Cu wire to the service. The Service box has a 200 amp breaker in it. No other breakers are in this box. It is also grounded. Three 2 gauge Al wires run from the box at the road 100 feet to my breaker box on my house. Sort of like a sub-panel. The box at the house has NO main breaker. It is also grounded and rated for 100 amps. Neither the main service box nor the one on the house has a ground to the box (green screw). It appears I have 200 amps feeding a 100 amp rated box on my house without a breaker in between.
I need to install a larger box on the house since the current one is very small with only six breakers. However, after seeing the current configuration I am a bit spooked to mess with it. Is this a normal configuration?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-07, 08:21 PM
nap
Don;t know about strange but it is definately against current code.

what size panel are you considering for the house?

Old 08-22-07, 08:32 PM
I plan to just swap out with another 100 amp box with a few more slots. The heck of this is the current wiring is only three years old. Makes it easy to swap the panels but 200 amps to a panel without a main is quite irregular.

Originally Posted by nap View Post
Don;t know about strange but it is definately against current code.

what size panel are you considering for the house?

Old 08-22-07, 08:38 PM
this is on the farm or country home or what ?? because you mention six slot breaker box i am leaning to country set up

Old 08-22-07, 08:44 PM
I am it the mountains but it is rather modern here. DSL, 200 amp metered service, the works. Yes, I am in the sticks but it appears an idiot wired this place up three years ago. Beavis and Butthead must have inspected it since it passed code - unless I am missing something. I am no expert on residential services but I have replaced one in the past. This one is so weird I am reluctant to start working on it. I am hoping someone can explain why it is set up this way.
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
this is on the farm or country home or what ?? because you mention six slot breaker box i am leaning to country set up

Old 08-22-07, 09:07 PM
the only thing i can say that maybe the electrician did use the 200 amp main metering box and go with panelbox below of the meter and have branch circuits run to the house and one run to garage or other building and one circuit for waterpump [ i am sure for this set up ]

any chance can you read the box label to tell what manufacter it is and model number it should be on the label then i can able tell what type it is

and yes with 6 two pole breaker or less it is allowed by the code for main disconnection there what we called " 6 throw or less " this code been in the NEC [ national electrical code ] for many years