Generator Transfer switch


Old 08-23-07, 07:55 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
Generator Transfer switch

I'm building a new house and plan in installing a manual transfer switch for a generator. The switch will be 50amp and be located about 40 feet from the main panel. It will supply a 240v well pump and some small appliances and lighting. Everything will be inside the basement. What size wire do I need and should it be in a conduit?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-07, 08:14 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Whether or not the wire is in conduit depends on the type of wire used. A cable (NM or UF) does not need to be in conduit unless the conduit is for protection where the cable is exposed. Individual conductors need to be in conduit.

Use 8 gage wire.

What size is the generator you are using? You need a hefty generator for a well pump.
Old 08-27-07, 07:04 PM
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 131
If you plan on using NM, (romex) then you cannot use #8awg, you would have to use # 6awg....

But personally if this was my house I would install a 100amp transfer switch with a 24 ckt sub-panel... best bang for the buck...

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes