Sprinkler Wiring Problem.

Old 08-23-07, 09:03 AM
Sprinkler Wiring Problem.

I have a bit of a problem on my hands, I just don't know how big. I have a 12 zone sprinkler system spread over four different valve boxes. The system was and always had worked great.

I'm having fence put in and the ground around my house is so hard that we had to use a bobcat to drill the fence post holes. We drilled almost all the hole with no incidents. When we got down to the last 1 or 2, I turned on the sprinklers in the area to see where the heads were and it worked fine.

We drilled those holes and I don't believe hit anything when we drilled down. Afterward, when I went to test my sprinklers none of the 12 zones would come on.

I think what happen was when we were backing the bobcat out we drove over the valve box, drove the box down on top of the wire leading to the valves, and crushed the wire leading to the box. You could see that the box had been driven downward.

My question is, would crushing that wire screw up the other 9 zones that don't come into that particular valve box? Causing none of 12 zones to work.

If it means anything, the valve box in question is the closes to the control unit for the sprinkler system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-07, 09:56 AM
It is common for sprinkler control wiring to all travel together in one multiwire cable. So yes, it is very likely that if you damaged that cable, you would affect all the zones (especially when you damage the cable near the beginning).

Luckily, sprinkler control wiring is all low voltage so it's usually pretty easy to fix. Just make sure you waterproof all your connections. You can buy special wire nuts for that, or you can just use silicone caulk.

Old 08-23-07, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your help, John.

Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
It is common for sprinkler control wiring to all travel together in one multiwire cable. So yes, it is very likely that if you damaged that cable, you would affect all the zones (especially when you damage the cable near the beginning).

Luckily, sprinkler control wiring is all low voltage so it's usually pretty easy to fix. Just make sure you waterproof all your connections. You can buy special wire nuts for that, or you can just use silicone caulk.

Old 08-23-07, 12:54 PM
Yep... damage at the begining of valve control wiring can do it all in. Here is how it usually works. There is a hot wire for every valve... so if you have 4 valves your cable will need at least 4 hot wires. There will only be one common wire for the low voltage return. All valves are sharing it. If that common breaks or is cut at the beginning before it lands on a valve it will take out all your zones. Of course a severed cable will do it also if it comes before the valves. My guess is you have a common that is cut or pulled from its splice connector. The cables are pretty freakin tough I don't think you would sever the entire cable by driving over the valve box but anything is possible.

Roger