Which GFCI connection is the problem?

Old 08-23-07, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question Which GFCI connection is the problem?

Hi, We recently installed two outlets and a post light with GFCI. The breaker keeps tripping and now will not reset. I assume there is moisture getting in somewhere, but is there any way to determine which connection is causing the problem? The load wire goes to the GFCI in a dual outlet, then splits. One line runs to the post light, and a second line runs to another dual outlet. We've already buried the splices 4 feet underground, so don't want to dig those up if we can avoid it. Is there any kind of sensor or meter that can tell us which outlet or splice is getting moisture? Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-07, 04:11 PM
WHOA!!! Hold it. You BURIED splices FOUR FEET down????

I would NOT continue ANY further until you correct this major code violation.

I will ask. Is the breaker tripping, or the GFI receptacle? Or is it a GFI breaker? I am confused. Your description is a bit ambiguous.

Old 08-23-07, 05:36 PM
I agree with SpeedyPetey. How did you do your splices? Although there are approved UF splices, we need to know if you used one of them or not.

Old 08-23-07, 06:55 PM
Hi, Thanks so much for your quick response! I assumed since the original power line was four feet down, the new line and splices would be the same. We wired the splices using wire nuts and wrapped in rubber tape. Then put the splice in a plastic junction box, but that may not be water tight. (I figured at 4 feet down it wouldn't need to be watertight!)I was looking online and found some underground burial splice kits. Do those work well? It is the GFCI that keeps tripping, not the breaker in the panel.

Old 08-23-07, 07:29 PM
I would bet $13 that the splices are your problem.

They make UF splice kits, but none that I know of will let you "T" off. They are strictly straight through.

Old 08-23-07, 07:55 PM
You need to dig up those splices. You should not have put them there in the first place. Running a new circuit, all you had to do was run UF cable.

I'm with Speedy, those splices are the problem.

Old 08-24-07, 05:46 AM
Okay, I am going to go to the electric supply house and see if they have the splice kit. As for the wiring, we did not run a new cable...the outlets are new and the post light is in a new location. We replaced our front porch, and in the "while we're at it" mode, installed the new outlets. The line runs under the concrete stoop, so must be spliced to get to the new fixtures. The original line was buried 4 feet deep. Thanks again for your advice, and I'll check back later if you have any further comment and hopefully to let you know the problem is corrected.

Old 08-24-07, 05:53 AM
The splice kits are NOT for connecting more than two lines together. They are for repairing a broken wire. Your connections for additional lines cannot be made underground, and must be made in regular junction boxes that are accessible, such as at the post light or at the GFCI receptacle.

If you are connecting TWO (and only two) UF cables together then use the splice kit. However, if you have more than two UF cables to splice together then splice them somewhere else.

Old 08-24-07, 05:10 PM
Smile

Thank you so much for all the help! We used a splice kit where we added the additional wire to the original line to extend it to reach the first outlet. We put the other two cables (one for the second outlet and one for the post light) in a junction box, mounted on the brick side of the porch. Forecast calls for rain tomorrow, so I hope you don't see me back here!