wiring a new bathroom

Old 08-25-07, 10:53 AM
Question wiring a new bathroom

Hi All,

I'm in the process of turning a sitting room in our house into a bathroom and hallway. I added a new 15A circuit breaker to our circuit box and set up the wiring so that the new 15A circuit powers one overhead light in the new hallway, an overhead light in the bathroom, a light over the mirror in the bathroom and a GFCI outlet in the bathroom. Then I heard that code requires a seperate 20A circuit exclusively for the bathroom. Does anyone know if this is true? Can the circuit that powers the bathroom also power another room (like the adjacent hallway) and does it have to be 20A or is 15A okay? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-07, 11:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bathroom circuits can only serve bathrooms, and at least one 20 amp GFCI is required. That one 20amp circuit has to be 12gage wire, and not 14 like 15a uses.

Old 08-25-07, 11:43 AM
Thanks!

Excellent--thanks for the rapid reply. Also, do you know if all bathrooms must have a fan even if there is a window in the bathroom? If so, can I put the fan on the same 20A circuit as the GFCI outlet?

Old 08-25-07, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have a window, you don't need a fan, but it's still encouraged because most people do not open the window during showers anyways. You can have a fan on the same circuit if this circuit only serves that one bathroom.

Old 08-26-07, 06:43 PM
A fan is a building code issue, and NOT an electrical code issue.

You should have run this new circuit with all 12 gage wire and a 20 amp breaker. Now you need to run a separate 20 amp circuit for just the receptacle. And that circuit cannot serve locations outside the bathroom.