Why no power to bottom receptacle on outlet?

Old 08-25-07, 04:45 PM
Why no power to bottom receptacle on outlet?

I have a outlet and the top receptacle works on a switch and is getting power but the bottom receptacle is getting no power with the switch on or off. I pulled out the outlet and I have a black and red wire on one side witch from my understanding is your hot wires. The tab between the black and red wires is taken out. On the other side I have a white, which from my understanding is the neutral and there is a ground. The tab on the white side is still in place. All the wires are tight with good connections.
I then pulled the switch out and it has a black,red and ground which have good connections.
What could be the problem that the bottom receptacle is not working? The house was built in 1991 and we have never needed to use this outlet because of the layout of furniture in room. Now we moved furniture around we need both receptacles. My wife said it has never worked as long as we lived here.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-07, 05:18 PM
On the red and black wires they are held with terminal screws, the white is in the push back. I noticed on some post this matters.

Old 08-25-07, 05:36 PM
nap
the reason the back stabbed receptacles make a difference is that they are susceptible to poor connections from that method of connection. If you have power on the top recep, I presume this is not a problem.

It would seem that you do not have power going to the recep. Do you have any type of voltage tester? A solenoid type tester is the most reliable for home users.

Old 08-25-07, 06:58 PM
Yes I have a voltage tester. I have power to the top outlet and it is worked by a switch, but no power to the bottom one.

Old 08-25-07, 07:06 PM
nap
Ok.

in the switch box, you say there is a red and a black wire on the switch. That would mean whichever is hot full time is the line side of the switch (supply) and the one that is turned on and off is the load side of the switch (to whatever device is controlled)

So, now in the recep box, do you have NM cable (Romex) or is this conduit and individual wires?

how many wires enter this box and how many leave the switch box and what color are they.

Old 08-25-07, 09:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My wife said it has never worked as long as we lived here.

They do have a way.

Perhaps this wire was never connected. Not that a person would do that.

Open up the recps. in that room or ajoining rooms, and you most likely will find it.

Everything has a begining and an end. You just have to find both.