Outlets all the sudden stopped working????

Old 08-26-07, 12:15 PM
Outlets all the sudden stopped working????

HI everyone, I hope everyone is having a productive sunday! Quick question; Last night my hall light upstairs stopped working...also (3) outlets stopped working. I've checked the Breaker and GFI's and there're working. I have a tester and noticed the current is there but not as strong as working outlents in the house? Some of the wires are stabbed in the outlets....could this be causing the problem? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-07, 12:47 PM
I'll take a stab at this

Did you physically throw the breakers off and then back on?..or just look to see if a breaker was thrown? I've had this happen. The breaker was actually not engaged all the way..kind of "half thrown" so to speak. Go flip the breaker for that area off and then back on. If that doesn't work..I'll just crawl back in my corner and hush.

blindladie

Old 08-26-07, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by blindladie2001 View Post
Did you physically throw the breakers off and then back on?..or just look to see if a breaker was thrown? I've had this happen. The breaker was actually not engaged all the way..kind of "half thrown" so to speak. Go flip the breaker for that area off and then back on. If that doesn't work..I'll just crawl back in my corner and hush.

blindladie

I flipped them a lot. In fact I've replaced the breaker just to be sure. Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-26-07, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tom: if you verify the breakers are engaged on that circuit, you can use a plug in type circuit tester to see what the problem is. It will let you know if you have a missing neutral, or a miswired plug, etc. From there you can tell if you need to go further with your testing. It does, however, sound as if you have a dropped neutral at one of the plugs or at the light. Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-26-07, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Tom: if you verify the breakers are engaged on that circuit, you can use a plug in type circuit tester to see what the problem is. It will let you know if you have a missing neutral, or a miswired plug, etc. From there you can tell if you need to go further with your testing. It does, however, sound as if you have a dropped neutral at one of the plugs or at the light. Let us know what you find out.
Thanks but I just have a simple analog reader. Would just changing all the outlets wires to "screw in" as apposed to the "Stab method" maybe solve this issue?

Old 08-26-07, 02:20 PM
Back stab connections are known to go bad. Swap the wires over to the screw terminals AFTER u turned the breaker off.

Old 08-26-07, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by 03sonicstang View Post
Thanks but I just have a simple analog reader.
Set your multimeter to 250 volts a/c.

Take an extension cord and plug it into one of your bad outlets.

Now run the extension cord to some room that has an outlet that does work AND IS ON ANOTHER CIRCUIT.

Plug your red probe into the small slot of the extension cord.

Now put the black probe in the large slot of the outlet (that you know is good in some other room on a different circuit).

If the meter shows 120 volts, you know that the hot wire of the bad circuit is live, and is not you problem.

---------------------

For the next test,

Take the red probe out of extension cord and this time plug it into the big slot of the extension cord.

Now put your black probe into the small hot slot of the known good outlet on that other circuit.

If the meter shows no response, you know you have found a bad neutral (if you made good contact with your probes and your meter is not faulty)

Old 08-26-07, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys and gals for your input! You can chalk this failure up to "Stabbing the Outlets"; I think another member put it, stabbing your outlets is like putting mayonnaise on your PB and J! YUK! Anyway, thanks again and hope to talk to everyone soon! Tom

Old 08-26-07, 06:52 PM
Productive sunday?

Must be in management.

Old 08-27-07, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by burkej62 View Post
Productive sunday?

Must be in management.
LOL; thanks for the laugh! I really needed it after a ....well less then productive Sunday!

Thanks again!