Power Outage! Please Help!

Old 08-26-07, 12:53 PM
Unhappy Power Outage! Please Help!

I have a duplex and it has the upper and lower units wired seperately. The downstairs apartment has no problems at all. While the upstairs apartment has at least 3-5 partial power outages a day. The energy company came out and opened the meter box and told me that there is corrosion on the box terminals. Is this something that could be causing the power outages? And if so how? Please help me. If the corrosion is causing the problem could a person clean the terminals and fix the problem? I would like to do the repair myself? How do you clean the terminals? I need help?

Thanks,

rhendric

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-07, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! If the POCO came out and unsealed the meter box and found corrosion on the terminals, they should have corrected it when they had it opened. To do otherwise is negligent. It is NOT something you can do on your own, as the power coming in is not fused like it is in the house, and must be disconnected either at the pole or at the pad mount. I would pursue it further with the POCO.

Old 08-26-07, 01:06 PM
WHICH terminals? Very important - as let's say you have aluminum wire from the meter to your main terminals (which can corrode at terminal), at either the main buss fuse or main breaker - by even shutting off or pulling the main, that wire will still be HOT! Live! High amps! - and that is what will kill you. The mainbreaker or fuse, when pulled or off, will only stop power to the buss bars that are in the rest of the panel box below the main. But be careful around that main! Hopefully the pros will weigh in here shortly.

Old 08-26-07, 01:07 PM
The power company in wisconsin considers the corrosion on the box terminals the customers property and job to remedy. I know the power has to be disconnected, but could this be the cause of the problem?

Old 08-26-07, 01:13 PM
The terminals the the meter actually plugs into. There is a hole in the box where the pipe goes in which is allowing water into to box and causing the corrosion.

Old 08-26-07, 01:13 PM
Well, you need a licensed electrician as it is against the law to cut that colored band the power company has through the ring that holds in the meter.

Old 08-26-07, 01:14 PM
Yes, as ecman51 says, the dielectric mismatch of aluminum and copper can cause corrosion if it is not properly prevented by using NoOx, or other compounds. I still contend, whether or not it is your responsibility, they should have never reconnected service in that condition without it being corrected. Now, they have to come back out and disconnect the service for YOU to repair. Dumb at best.

Old 08-26-07, 01:14 PM
Yes.
Call an electrician and replace the meter box, not that exspensive.
Corrosion can cause a fire and that is.
If the power outage is a frequent as stated, then this needs attention sooner than later.

Don't try it yourself.,please.

Old 08-26-07, 06:11 PM
as what other saying here i agree with them get the electrician asap dont wait too long on this matter

the electrician will have to replace the meter socket also the service cables if they are damged as well the cost is not too bad but i cant tell you the price over the internet because i dont have my eyes at your place.

anyway that what the electrician will have to dealt with the poco with this as well

you mention ya are in wisconsin which POCO you have maybe i know their regualations is

Merci , Marc