How many wires in PVC conduit

Old 08-26-07, 08:11 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How many wires in PVC conduit

I am running a new circuit to my new underwater pool light. The pool contractor left me with a 1" PVC stub with a pigtail to the light. I need to run conduit and a switched circuit to the breaker panel that services the pool pump. I also want to run an outlet circuit while I'm at it to provide convenience outlets inside the pool area. Although the pool guy used 1" conduit to the light, I'd rather run 3/4" conduit to each of the boxes to make a neater project, if possible. Here's the question: how many wires can I run in a 3/4" conduit? Assuming I use 12 ga. for the outlet circuit, I can use either 12 or 14 ga wire for the light circuit, depending on the limitations of the 3/4' conduit. If not, I can run 1" conduit instead.

Old 08-26-07, 08:43 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
schedule 80 pvc and #12 thwn wire:

3/4"=12
1"=20

schedule 40 and #12 thwn wire:

3/4"=15
1"=25

don't forget to consider derating

Old 08-26-07, 09:16 PM
R
The answer is that you can run all the wires you need inside the conduit.

Pay attention to the code detail. The convenience receptacles must be GFCI protected and must be at least 10 feet from the pool. One must be no more than 20 feet from the pool.

Old 08-26-07, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=racraft;1222318]The answer is that you can run all the wires you need inside the conduit.QUOTE]

So as not to mislead anyone, racraft means that you can run all the wires needed for this project, per bmozer's question. Not all the wires you can stuff into a conduit, for any need. It's the simple answer to bmozer's question, where as nap's answer is the technical version.

Old 08-27-07, 04:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
bmozer,
Pools and pool ligts carry some VERY stringent rules and codes. Are you aware of them all?
Where are you putting the deck box?
Where is this "stub" you refer to? Where does it come from?

Old 08-27-07, 05:15 AM
R
Yes, that is what I meant. You can run all the wires needed for this project in the PVC conduit. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Old 08-27-07, 07:20 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
About 5 years ago I read of an alleged electrician that when repairing a pool light swapped the hot and neutral. Result: 1 dead. You need to be very careful.

Old 08-27-07, 03:00 PM
B
Exclamation 'How many wires in PVC conduit?"

First of all, thanks to everyone for their responses.

The "stub" as I called it is the end of a 1" PVC conduit that rises 18" out of the ground about 15 ft from the pool light. It contains the pigtail from the light. I need to run pieces of new conduit to a light switch and also to my service panel located about 15 feet from the "stub" that will carry the light and outlet circuit wires. The pool pump service panel has been installed to code.

Old 08-27-07, 03:49 PM
F
I hate to step in this part but how many pool lumiaires [ light fixure ] you have currently now ?

this type of set up is very picky on the connections if i rember right i will try my best to describe it.

this box will have two " PVC opening on the bottom on each end and the centre is 1 inch pvc opening and this box is used for running the lamp cord to this box only this box is either made of pvc or brass [ SpeedyPete please correct me if i am wrong on this part] and that box enclosere it will have very large grounding screw to termation the ground wire this is a critcal part here.

to order get the light switch working for pool light the best place to run the pool light switch is run the circuit to the breaker box but make sure you get the proper GFCI system for this

This code is very strict with this not only in the NEC code but also some additional local code as well

for conveice outlet i think it is 10 feet away from the pool i am not sure if that ring right i will leave this question to speedypete or other have more experinced with this type of set up i genrally don't get into this on resdentail side i am used on commercal system so bear with me

thanks

Merci , Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: