Two Pig Tails ?

Old 08-27-07, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two Pig Tails ?

Hi, This is in a shed. I have 12-2 NM(Power) entering SP switch box at bottom of metal outlet box. I also have 12-2 NM entering (or exiting technically) the same box that leads to a duplex outlet. Then I have the the 3rd and last cable (12-2NM) going to the ceiling light. Green grounding screw is attached with ground pigtail inside of SP switch box.
Black from power is attached to switch device on bottom screw.
Black pigtail from other two black conductors is attached to top screw.
All 3 white neutrals are wire-nuted together.
All grounds are wirenutted together with pig tails. Two pig tails.

So, does this mean that I need two ground pigtails? One going to the green grounding screw inside the box and another going to the switch device green screw? Did I mix up with my grounds or does this sound correct?
THANKS

p.s. If the box is metal, then will the mounting of the switch eliminate the need for the device screw to have a pigtail?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-07, 09:41 AM
P
Presuming this is a metal outlet-box with a Green Grounding screw threaded into the box, then loop one the the 3 cable Equiptment Grounding Conductors(EGC) under the Ground-screw, leaving enough "end' to wire-nut this EGC to the other 2 EGC's. ALL EGC's and the metal box must be "Bonded" together, and it's best done by one "Wire-nut" connection.

THis is to avoid the possiblity of 2 seperate connections so that the EGC's of the 2 "Feed-Out" cables are not connected to the EGC of the "Feed-IN" cable, the cable which is extending the Ground from the breaker-panel, leaving the EGC's of the 2 "Feed-out" cables un-Grounded.

Old 08-27-07, 10:41 AM
I understand your explanation of bonding the three cables. They are indeed all inside one wire nut with a pigtail that goes to the threaded green screw inside the metal box.
Could you please advise me if I need another pig tail that goes to the green screw on the switch device. Or does the "mounting connection being all metal" eliminate the need for the 2nd grounding pigtail?
THANKS.

Old 08-27-07, 11:37 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If the switch or receptacle is marked as "SELF-GROUNDING", then you do not need a ground pigtail directly to the device screw if installed in a grounded metal box. Otherwise, the ground pigtail must connect to the green grounding screw on the device. Personally, I prefer to always install a grounding pigtail to the device simply because I want the ground intact if the device somehow becomes loose or detached from the box.

Old 08-27-07, 12:16 PM
Smile

Thank you Ben,
I understand your explanation quite clearly.