Underground to Garage Subpanel

Old 08-27-07, 07:04 PM
Underground to Garage Subpanel

I figured I should get to this before the snow starts, and in Northern NY its right around the corner. My feeder for the subpanel in the garage is old and frayed so I thought I would go underground with it. As you can see in the diagram I'm going to be going:
1) from the main panel about 15 ft. in the basement (unfinished, duck head, old timber beam type basement)
2) 25 ft. underground
3) about 8 ft. up the wall in an unfinished garage
4) about 15 ft. along the wall over the garage doors
5) about 3 ft. down to the subpanel
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r146/slacker97/Elec.jpg

I would also like to run wires back from the garage to a generator transfer switch next to the main panel. I don't have the generator or transfer switch yet, just planing for the future. I was thinking 10-3 wire should be good for up to a 7000 watt generator? I'm thinking I'll probably run a 5000 watt or so generator.

The subpanel is currently fed by a 100 amp breaker, what size wires do I need to run? Should I run individual in conduit the whole way or direct bury, I would prefer not to have any splices. Is aluminum the way to go? I've never used it but I've read wire brush it shiny and put NoOx grease on it.

I plan on running four conductors (do I need 3 for the generator or can I use the same ground as the subpanel), no metal paths yet, but will bury an additional conduit for phone or something else and in the future will have water run. Already have a ground rod at the garage also.

Can the feeder and generator be run in the same conduit underground? What size conduit will I need for all the wires?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for all the help you have given in past posts.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-07, 07:15 PM
I would run (3) 2" pvc conduits from the house to the garage, 1 for power, 1 for generator and 1 for phone/catv etc...,

Your going to need a disconnecting means at the garage, installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure, The disconnecting means shall be readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance...

Old 08-27-07, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
(Just Opinion). Probably doesn't need 2" conduit for low voltage and communications wiring. Might save a bit by going with smaller conduit.

Old 08-27-07, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
(Just Opinion). Probably doesn't need 2" conduit for low voltage and communications wiring. Might save a bit by going with smaller conduit.
Probably right, but doubt he'll break the bank with it either... and it sure makes life easy...

Old 08-28-07, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the response....

Do I need a disconnect where it enters the garage? I thought I read that if its protected by a breaker at the main panel it doesn't.

Am I correct that wire size is #2 for copper and #6 if aluminum? Can the neutral and ground be a different size?

Rob

Old 08-28-07, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by rjels View Post
Thanks for the response....

Do I need a disconnect where it enters the garage? I thought I read that if its protected by a breaker at the main panel it doesn't.

Am I correct that wire size is #2 for copper and #6 if aluminum? Can the neutral and ground be a different size?

Rob

Yes you need a disconnect, #2 copper is good for 115 amps, # 6 aluminum is good for 50 amps...