NM & Staple ?

Old 08-28-07, 11:49 AM
NM & Staple ?

Hi, My interior shed walls are open to the studs. No interior sheathing. On one vertical stud, I have a four foot section where two #12-2NM cables exit a switch box. One cable goes down to a duplex receptacle and the other thru a hole in the stud to another device. As for the 4' section that I mentioned above, I secured both cables with one staple. Is this permitted? Or is it a violation.
THANKS.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 12:01 PM
It is legal to secure two cables with one staple, assuming the staple is designed for two.

Are you planning on putting in walls when you are done? If not, then you should run these cables through conduit for protection.

Old 08-28-07, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
It is legal to secure two cables with one staple, assuming the staple is designed for two.

Are you planning on putting in walls when you are done? If not, then you should run these cables through conduit for protection.
Protection from physical damage is an interpretation of the code... it is not always needed...

Old 08-28-07, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
Protection from physical damage is an interpretation of the code... it is not always needed...

Why take the risk?

Old 08-28-07, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Why take the risk?

Risk of what? the wire never being damaged? I've been doing this for 15 years, I've yet to see a wire damaged in a garage, I know it's hard to see it differently when your so used to seeing it one way, but thats not always the correct answer...

Old 08-28-07, 07:25 PM
I did not state that code would require the protection. It might, or might not. I said that he should.

Every shed that I have seen eventually gets filled with stuff. NM cable could easily be damaged by any number of tools or items in the shed.

I would protect the cable if it were my shed.

Old 08-28-07, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
I did not state that code would require the protection. It might, or might not. I said that he should.

Every shed that I have seen eventually gets filled with stuff. NM cable could easily be damaged by any number of tools or items in the shed.

I would protect the cable if it were my shed.

I can agree with that....

Old 08-29-07, 08:40 AM
Hi, my cable enters the shed thru the floor at the bottom of one stud bay and goes directly up the same stud bay to my switch. From the switch box bottom knockout it feeds back down the same stud bay to one duplex receptacle. From the duplex receptacle the cable goes thru one stud where it connects to the outside shed wall receptacle. So, I will protect those two stud bays with some type of wall material. The remainder of my walls contain no NM or outlet devices. Thank you all for your expertise. It is always greatly appreciated.