trying to wire a garbage disposal, need help...

Old 08-28-07, 06:37 PM
trying to wire a garbage disposal, need help...

I have a 2 plug socket above the kitchen counter that I would like to replace with a plug/light switch combo. I want to add a plug below the sink and have the plug/switch above the sink control the plug below the sink to turn on/off a garbage disposal. Can I simply run a wire from the new plug/switch combo to a new plug below the sink?

The old box above the sink has a white and black wire coming from the wall. I have about 3 feet of 3 corded wire(white, black, ground). Can I simply splice the black and white wire from the new 3 corded wire into the black and white wire coming from the wall and connect them both to the new plug/switch combo and then attach the other end of the 3 corded wire to the new plug under the sink?

Thanks for any help you have

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Didn't quite follow your post but you can not use a counter top outlet for the garbage disposal. You need to run a new circuit from your breaker box. You can use a 15a breaker and #14 if the garbage disposal is not to large but best would be #12 and a 20a breaker.

You wrote: "I have about 3 feet of 3 corded wire(white, black, ground). Can I simply splice the black and white wire from the new 3 corded wire into the black and white wire coming from the wall and connect them both to the new plug/switch combo and then attach the other end of the 3 corded wire to the new plug under the sink?"

Not sure what you mean by 3 corded wire. Do you mean NM (Romex)? Size of wire and breaker size is critical but perhaps all is moot because as I said it doen't sound like what you want to do is code.

Old 08-29-07, 02:49 AM
The black from the 2-wire goes to the outlet and the switch. The white from the 2-wire goes to the outlet and the white on your 3-wire. I'd use the red on your 3-wire to go to the switch and cap off the extra black. Then, under the sink you hook up the red and white to the outlet and cap off the black. If you're putting using a metal box you'll have to bond your ground wire to the box as well as the outlet.

Old 08-29-07, 04:13 AM
However, you cannot do this. It is against code (and an unwise idea) to tap a counter top circuit for a garbage disposal.

Old 08-29-07, 04:12 PM
when i said 3 wire cord, i meant white, black and a ground. does that make a difference?
why is it an unwise idea?

Old 08-29-07, 04:45 PM
no...hehe. Sorry to be blunt but what you describe is not legal as far as codes go. Technically, you should run a new ckt to a switch from the panel and then run fom that switch to an recep under a sink from which to plug the disposal into.

Old 08-29-07, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Bcessario asked: "when i said 3 wire cord, i meant white, black and a ground. does that make a difference?"

It was impossible to tell if you meant NM cable or perhaps some other type of cord or cable. You must use the proper cable of the proper size. Couldn't tell from your description if it was NM (aka Romex) or a piece of "extension cord". The latter would never be legal cable.

But as stated you can't do what you wan.t fFrst because the counter top circuits are dedicated for that use only to reduce chances of over loading with hi-amp devices like toasters and grills. Also in this case no ground. And finally you don't know if they serve only the counter top. They may already be over loaded.

Bottom line as others stated you need a new circuit. Your lack of familiarity with correct terminology also suggest you need to read a book such as Wiring Simplified