wiring help needed

Old 08-29-07, 06:31 PM
wiring help needed

i recently installed a couple of plugin undercabinet lights from the home depot and would like to make one of the outlets in my kitchen a switched outlet but i am unsure on how to do it.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1709/untitledzl4.jpg

I would like outlet #2 to be controlled by a switch and have outlet #1 be powered like a normal switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-07, 07:21 PM
I don't understand your diagram, but that is okay. Just run a switch loop .

Old 08-29-07, 07:26 PM
what do i do with with red wire? put a wire nut on it?

Old 08-29-07, 10:24 PM
I think you are messing with a multiwire circuit with shared neutral does either of these outlets have the red wire connected to the receptacle and the black not connected but passed through and connected to the next receptacle? In other words on these existing receptacles does the red connect to one and not the black and the black to the next receptacle but not the red?

Roger

Old 08-30-07, 03:51 AM
I too suspect a multi-wire circuit. But that is not important to the question.

Add your switch. Take the hot wire connected to one of the brass screws on the receptacle, run the hot wire to and through the switch. Take the output of the switch and connect it to the brass screw on the receptacle where you just removed the other wire from.

Old 08-30-07, 06:15 AM
Put in your switch box - Use a piece of 12/2 NM cable (its yellow) - Run the 12/2 from the outlet to the switch - Take the black (or red) wire off the outlet, cut it and restrip it. - Connect that black wire (or red) to the white wire on the 12/2 - Connect the black wire on the 12/2 to the screw on the receptacle where the black wire you just disconnected went- buy a single pole switch - in the switch box connect the black wire to one screw and the white wire to the other screw( dosn't matter which screw). Make sure both sides are grounded and your done

Old 08-30-07, 06:59 AM
Not all 12 gage wire is yellow. There is no uniform color code and manufacturers can use any color they want.