Generator Output Question

Old 08-30-07, 09:07 AM
Generator Output Question

I have a theory on this, but need to ask anyhow (please, feel free to correct the error in my thinking).

It all started while preparing a portable generator for input into the house. I made up a generator cord (proper ends, 5 feet long, 10 gauge) to plug into a 4 prong generator receptacle. Being very cautious and paranoid, I wanted to verify the wiring to be correct. Before I fired it up, I decided to take resistance measurements and noted that between “phases”, the resistance was nearly 0, so I checked the resistance between the hots on the 120V output and they were also 0 (which confirmed I had read the correct pin out on the cord). Just to double verify, I fired up the generator and measure voltage between the 2 hots on the cord (and the 120V outlets) and got 257 VAC (as espected).

It has been a long time since I have had any generator theory or saw a wiring diagram for a generator. I assumed there were 2 independent coils, each producing 120V (thus I would have assumed infinite resistance between “phases”. The way I read it, it appears as though it is a single coil, designed for 220, with a center tap (neutral) to produce 120 VAC with respect to the neutral, and 220 with respect to each other (note, 120 implies 110-130V, 220 implies 220-max output). If I am correct, my question as to why zero resistance between phases is answered, if I am not correct, can anyone explain? Geeky minds want to know.

Thanks

P.S. The 5KW generator works fine, requires a lot of load management, but even runs the well pump and the bathroom light at the same time (and nothing else).

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-07, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> The way I read it, it appears as though it is a single coil, designed for 220,
> with a center tap (neutral) to produce 120 VAC with respect to the neutral,
> and 220 with respect to each other

You got it. This is the same way that power company transformers out on the pole are wired also. To take it a bit further, you can see why an open or broken neutral on a service is a serious problem. Without the grounded, center-tapped neutral, the voltage on each leg of the transformer winding will float with the total voltage still equal to 240. Instead of 120-120, you may get 80-160 or 140-100.