Motion Sensor Light Going Wacky!!

Old 08-30-07, 11:54 PM
Motion Sensor Light Going Wacky!!

Its been on far side of the garage since before I've been here (6+ years).

Tonight I noticed that it is turning on in what seems like regularly spaced intervals. Its possible that its been happening for a week or more, I just hadn't noticed.

What could cause this? Bulbs nearing the end of their life? A short in the wire? Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-07, 06:24 AM
Motion Sensor

Look for spider webs near the sensor. I am not kidding! I have a motion sensor in my carport which was being turned on by spiders moving across the front of it. Worth checking out. Good luck.

Old 08-31-07, 10:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not only that, Ken, but the spider web can reflect light from the bulb into the sensor, telling it that it is daytime, and shutting it off, only to come back on after a reset. It happens alot.

Old 08-31-07, 11:35 AM
We shall see!

I had looked last night for a spider web, but didn't see one. But, this morning I found a little spider web under the eave and removed that. Also cut back a fern that is growing next to the garage. I guess we shall see tonight if this was the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-31-07, 09:28 PM
WooHoo!

So far, so good. I think it was the spider and/or spider web.

Thanks!

ETA: Oooops, Looks like I spoke too soon. It'll still happening. I found a spider up there and removed it. But it is still happening. Dang.

Last edited by jonezart; 08-31-07 at 09:43 PM. Reason: I wooHoo'd Too Soon :-(
Old 09-01-07, 08:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OK, fall back on what Ken said about nearby foliage, or the neighbor's dog, or passing automobiles. Re-aiming the sensor may help, or reducing the sensitivity. Let us know.

Old 09-01-07, 09:14 AM
It may be a few days. I don't have a ladder tall enough to reach the fixture itself, and can't get to the store to buy one right away.

It can't be passing cars or the neighbor's dog, but I will try to eliminate some of the foliage around the area. I timed a couple of the "events" last night. One time it went of at 5 minutes, another time it was a minute, another time 10 minutes.

Old 09-01-07, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
The first sensor light I ever installed had a 9v battery. Yours is new enough it probably doesn't but it's something to check for when you get the ladder.

Old 09-01-07, 11:18 PM
I think it must have been some low-hanging foliage from a tree. I'm not sure which branch(es) because I cut a whole bunch of them. At first, I did not think it was this tree because I thought it was outside the sensor area, but it appears to have done the trick. Yay, me!

Thanks, everyone!!