Panel Question

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-31-07, 07:30 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 151
Panel Question

Has anyone worked with a Murray 200amp MBP ? LC4040B1200P

40 Space panel.


I'm going to be swapping out my existing panel with this one and since my current panel has only one ground/neutral bar and the new one has 2 i was wondering how in this new panel do i bond the 2 together?


It has a strap that runs from the ground bar under the main bus and over to the neutral bar on the other side. but there is no physical connection. There is a solid copper lug that is attached to the strap near the neutral bar that if you loosen can be placed into the adjacent hole on the neutral bar and tightend. Is this all that is done.


If anyone knows anything about this panel and can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. John
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-31-07, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
If the two can be connected as you describe, then you must do that. The panel also comes with a GREEN screw that MUST be installed.
This is threaded thru the neutral bus into a threaded hole in the panel.

This is the only panel after the meter correct? whith only 3 wires going to it and 1 ground to a rod and the water pipe correct? If so, thats the way.
 
  #3  
Old 08-31-07, 10:32 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NA
Posts: 1,065
Does your panel look like this...... cut and paste

http://www.murrayconnect.com/docs/0706/MYSA-MRSLC-0403.pdf

Roger
 
  #4  
Old 09-02-07, 05:53 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
If the two can be connected as you describe, then you must do that. The panel also comes with a GREEN screw that MUST be installed.
This is threaded thru the neutral bus into a threaded hole in the panel.

This is the only panel after the meter correct? whith only 3 wires going to it and 1 ground to a rod and the water pipe correct? If so, thats the way.

Didn't come with a screw that's why I was wondering. Yes it is the only panel after the meter and three wires but only wire to the water pipe, no ground rod yet. Will be putting 2 in during this panel install.
 
  #5  
Old 09-02-07, 05:58 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Does your panel look like this...... cut and paste

http://www.murrayconnect.com/docs/0706/MYSA-MRSLC-0403.pdf

Roger


Yes but with 40 spaces.
 
  #6  
Old 09-02-07, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
John, looks like your OK.
The strap from the neutral to groun d bus is the bond between the two.
The strap from the bus must be bonded (screwed to the can (metal enclosure)

The grounds and neutrals will connect to the 2 busses.

To confirm,Use a continuity tester. both of these busses should have continuity with each other and the enclosure.
 
  #7  
Old 09-03-07, 07:00 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
John, looks like your OK.
The strap from the neutral to groun d bus is the bond between the two.
The strap from the bus must be bonded (screwed to the can (metal enclosure)

The grounds and neutrals will connect to the 2 busses.

To confirm,Use a continuity tester. both of these busses should have continuity with each other and the enclosure.



Ok I'll check it with my fluke.
 
  #8  
Old 09-21-07, 09:57 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 151
It's official

Just completed my 200 amp service upgrade/panel swap

Everythings good to go. The last step for me was to bug the new cable at the weatherhead and pull the new cable to panel from the old meter pan and put it into the new one.

I kinda had to do it in two stages, I completed the panel swap last week and did the overhead this morning.

Called the POCO and they will come out monday and put on a new security tag on the meter.

I have to say though that I've been working with/around power for about 17 years and honestly I would never do a upgrade myself again. what a pain in the rear. I def have a new found respect for guys that do them everyday. That 4/0 is a ***** to work with.

Well my next phase is installing the sub in my garage so till then..........

Oh yeah thanks everyone for your help.
 

Last edited by mattison; 09-21-07 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Naughty language removed.
  #9  
Old 09-21-07, 10:04 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 151
Oh yeah I think I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
 
  #10  
Old 09-21-07, 10:39 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,386
4/0 is easy compared to 500kcm.
 
  #11  
Old 09-21-07, 08:33 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mass
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by furd View Post
4/0 is easy compared to 500kcm.


lol, i'll bet. better yet I don't wanna know lol
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'