Motion Sensor W/timer?

Old 09-02-07, 06:09 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Motion Sensor W/timer?

I have a finished basement with four double-tube fluorescent fixtures that are recessed into the drop ceiling. Two of these lights are on one switch; and two are on another.

When I'm not home, certain family members will go downstairs, turn on all the lights and when they come back up, leave them on. Sometimes they'll end up being on all day until I get home and if I don't check, they'll be left on over night.

In an effort to save some electricity, I'd like do away with the switches and have one motion sensor/timer to turn them all on. Then, if the sensor doesn't sense any motion, it will shut them all off after about 15 minutes or so.

I've seen these at the hardware store, but I'm not sure if they can handle all four lights............or if they create any other problems like false triggers, or not energizing the lights if too much sunlight is shining into the room?
Thanks,
Phil

Old 09-02-07, 06:29 PM
R
And your question is?

Old 09-02-07, 06:54 PM
P
>>>And your question is

Old 09-02-07, 08:14 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Since each pair of luminaries are on separate switches if you used one motion switch you would have to rewire them.

Light and motion are two different things. If it was a true motion switch light would not be a factor. You are confusing a combination photocell and motion detector used on outside security lights with a motion switch for indoor applications.

Old 09-02-07, 08:31 PM
R
Reread your original post. There is not a question in it. only statements.

Read the documentation that comes with the motion sensor. It will tell you want it can and cannot handle. Since there are numerous models available, we can't tell you much specific to any model, especially if we don't know the model.

A motion sensor is not dependent on the sunlight.

Old 09-03-07, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You don't want a motion sensor in a living space where people may settle down to watch tv or read a book. Lack of motion, of course, causes the lights to go out.
I have mentioned before, at the 737 catering operation for United Air Lines in Chicago, a new modern building when I was there, had motion sensors in the conference rooms (no problem) and in the bathrooms. Bathrooms, with stalls, out of sight of the sensors, no windows. So when you went into a stall, shortly thereafter the lights went out. No way to energize them unless you took a newspaper in with you and were able to reach above the stall. Real PITA.
I think reprogramming the people in the house would be a better solution.

Old 09-03-07, 04:23 AM
P
>>>You don't want a motion sensor in a living space where people may settle down to watch tv or read a book. Lack of motion, of course, causes the lights to go out.

Old 09-03-07, 06:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Pay attention to how these motion switches are placed in the room. Walking past one where you break 2 or more panels of the sensor works much better than walking straight towards one. Since these work on infrared outside heat sources may affect the function.

If the motion sensors don't work out you could try a timer switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: