Humming Boat lift motor

Old 09-03-07, 12:25 PM
Humming Boat lift motor

3/4hp 120v reversible boat lift motor.It has a large capacitor? screwed to the side under a cover. This has happened twice. Motor operates perfectly for several days then when you try to use it it just hums. It won't go up or down. We then move the pulley 1/4 turn and it still won't work. Then while someone hits the switch I spin the belt to get it going and it works for a couple of months Whats up?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-07, 01:32 PM
nap
sounds like either a cap is gong bad (along with the possibility of a tight spot in a bearing or such) or there is an internal switch that removes the cap from the circuit after start that is sticking in the open position.

If it actually starts normally after the quick fix, I would shoot for the switch. If it starts slow, I would look at the cap and maybe the switch.

Old 09-03-07, 02:28 PM
Smile

Bushing/ bearing could also be "dry." Try some oil (I carry a small can of sewing machine oil). wd-40 will gum it up worse, so I hear.

Old 09-04-07, 01:03 PM
Stuck centrifugal starting switch. Either clean & lubricate the switch, or replace it. You could also simply replace the motor.

Old 09-04-07, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Stuck centrifugal starting switch. Either clean & lubricate the switch, or replace it. You could also simply replace the motor.

That's my bet. Listen for the click when it starts and stops.

Old 09-04-07, 01:46 PM
Wink

Then while someone hits the switch I spin the belt to get it going and it works

Id just put a new capacitor in it

Old 09-04-07, 05:04 PM
That capacitor may be a "RUN" capacitor. I'd look for a bad centrifugal switch first.

Old 09-04-07, 05:32 PM
Capacitor don't go intermitent. They go bad. Spinning by hand is an indiction that the start switch is not closing to engage the start winding.

Old 09-04-07, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'ld try both, the cap and the switch.

Caps are not too much $, take off the cover and see the size, then find a motor place, (HVAC type supplier).

The switch, Motor is probably enclosed so you will need to take off the end cap. get a good contact cleaner and with the power off (it is flamable) spray the sw and associated plates. No scrubbing needed, any electronics or electrical supply should have it. Let it dry, start the motor and repeat.

Grease and oil the whole unit as needed.