Ceiling Fan trips GFCIs

Old 09-04-07, 07:47 AM
Ceiling Fan trips GFCIs

I have had a Kichler fan installed in my bedroom for about a year w/o problem. Fan is rarely used. It has a light and remote control. Just recently when I turn the fan on, the blades make about one turn then the GFCI in the bathroom on that floor and the GFCI on the floor below trip. Turning the light on will not trip the GFCIs. I have made no other changes to the electrical and there was no other load on the circuit. What steps should I take to diagnose? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-07, 07:50 AM
Fan Trips GFCI

I have had a Kichler fan installed in my bedroom for about a year w/o problem. It has a light and remote control. Just recently when I turn the fan on, the blades make about one turn then the GFCI in the bathroom on that floor and the GFCI on the floor below trip. Turning the light on will not trip the GFCIs. I have made no other changes to the electrical and there was no other load on the circuit. What steps should I take to diagnose? Thanks.

Old 09-04-07, 08:42 AM
Nothing. Motors sometimes trip GFCIs.

Rewire the GFCI receptacles so that you do not have one GFCI in series with the other, and so that the bedroom is not GFCI protected.

Old 09-04-07, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
It doesn't need to be on a GFCI. As a motor ages it may develop a slight current leakage. Not enough to be unsafe but enough to trip a GFCI. Older GFCIs were more prone to this so replacing the GFCI might fix it or you might want to run a new circuit. Of course the fan motor could be going bad to. I'd replace the GFCI first.

You do not need two GFCIs on the same circuit. It's not really wrong just not needed. If your replacing GFCIs you might find which is the first one and replace it then use a regular receptacle down stream. Be sure to test if you do this that the remaining GFCI really protects it.

Old 09-04-07, 10:56 AM
Please only one post per question.