Surge Protection: Power-Save 1200

Old 09-04-07, 03:37 PM
Surge Protection: Power-Save 1200

In the process of finishing my basement, I am getting estimates for the related electrical work. While they're at it, I would like to have a whole-house surge protector installed. The guy I think I'm going to hire is recommending the Power-Save 1200.

Discussions I've seen, including one here back in January, question and doubt whether this product delivers on the promised, or any, power savings. I was not even looking for power savings. I just want surge protection.

My question is: Does anyone know how this product is just at surge protection? Its specs say 2000 joules. Would it be good to buy this for the surge protection I want, and if it does end up saving me on usage, so much the better? Are there other products (like Square-D?) better for whole-house surge protection? Can they also protect telephone and cable TV/Internet lines where these enter the house?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-07, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Surge protectors won't save on power. A watt is a watt, an amp is an amp, and voltage......well. The Power Save 1200 you mention works on motors, or inductive items, not on lights, Sound equipment, TV, computers, etc.

Old 09-04-07, 04:44 PM
Some surge supressors advertise a savings on energy, through the use of capacitors, to correct the power factor of your house. However , unless you are running a lot of inductive loads, like bigger AC motors, then your power facotr is as close to unity as you will ever get. Besides , the resdiential customer doesnt get charged for "unused" power (reactive power)which is sent back to the POCO on the transmission lines, so the idea of saving on your energy usage by using capacitors on a residential service is mute.

This doesnt mean that I dont support the use of surge suppressors. Cutler Hammer makes one that can protect your phone and cable/sattelite lines as well. If the Power Save 1200 is more expensive because of the supposed energy saving feature, save your money.

Old 09-04-07, 05:39 PM
Unless you are paying a power factor penalty then correcting power factor is not going to save you any money. Only industrial customers are monitored for power factor.

Old 09-06-07, 10:07 AM
Thank you for your responses. Bottom Line: Forgetting about any promises about savings, do you think - solely for surge protection - that this product is comparable to other equally-rated surge protectors?

What should I look for in a good whole-house surge protector? My simple understanding says to look at joules (the higher the better) and clamping voltage (the lower the better).

Thank you.

Old 09-06-07, 05:35 PM
It's likely comparable, and it sounds like you are on the right track with your thinking. I still recommend looking for a suppressor which can protect your phone/cable (sattelite), internet lines as well.

Old 09-07-07, 04:25 AM
You're right. The fact that the Power-Saver 1200 does not protect phone and cable makes the decision easy because that's something I definitely want.
Thanks again.