Help with GFI Installation (Retitled)

Old 09-05-07, 05:38 PM
Help with GFI Installation (Retitled)

Need some help. I just put in three outdoor outlets. The first in line is a gfi on a 15 amp breaker, this is new and the outlets are the only thing on it. I wited the breaker with 14/2 with ground. Black to breaker and white and copper to ground.
I wired the gfi with the line coming in the top and with white to silver and black to gold terminals and ground to ground terminal. From there wired from load to next outlets in line the same way, white to silver and black to gold terminals and ground to ground. Can't get the GFI to reset, trips immediately when power is turned on. What could I have done wrong? Seems like such a straight forward wiring job it's gotta be something really simple. Appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks
Leroy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-07, 05:43 PM
Either you wired it wrong or you have a load in place and a short between the neutral and the ground.

Top and bottom mean nothing. What is important is the LINE terminals and the LOAD terminals.

Try applying power with the additional receptacles NOT connected and/or with the receptacle not installed in the box.

Old 09-05-07, 05:46 PM
What type of wire? Is it run through conduit? Is it stapled or fastened in anyway ?
Are you sure the 14/2 from the breaker is on the line side of the GFI receptacle and the other outlets on the load side?
I ask these questions because a too tight staple, or box connector could be causing this as well as miswired GFI receptacle. The GFI will say Line and Load on the back.

Old 09-05-07, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rollie73 View Post
What type of wire? Is it run through conduit? Is it stapled or fastened in anyway ?
Are you sure the 14/2 from the breaker is on the line side of the GFI receptacle and the other outlets on the load side?
I ask these questions because a too tight staple, or box connector could be causing this as well as miswired GFI receptacle. The GFI will say Line and Load on the back.
Thanks, yes I'm sure of the way it's connected, breaker to line side and other outlets to the load side.. It is Romex, no conduit and stapled in place, tight? Yes, I guess that's a no-no huh? Should I loosen the staples?
Thanks again for your input.

Old 09-05-07, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Either you wired it wrong or you have a load in place and a short between the neutral and the ground.

Top and bottom mean nothing. What is important is the LINE terminals and the LOAD terminals.

Try applying power with the additional receptacles NOT connected and/or with the receptacle not installed in the box.
Don't know what happened, I replied to you but it didn't show up. Wanted to say thank you and I will try disconnecting the other receptacles and see what happens.

Old 09-05-07, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
If the staples have damaged the NM cable it will have to be replaced. Is the circuit you wired to the main panel or a sub panel? You said you connected neutral and ground to the ground bar. If a subpanel the neutral must go to the neutral and ground to ground bar.

Old 09-05-07, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by lgleason View Post
Need some help. I just put in three outdoor outlets. The first in line is a gfi on a 15 amp breaker, this is new and the outlets are the only thing on it. I wited the breaker with 14/2 with ground. Black to breaker and white and copper to ground. Thanks
Leroy
Maybe some of the pros can confirm this but don't outdoor outlets need to be on a 20 amp circuit, with 12 guage wire, and be in conduit instead of NM cable attached with staples? Or am I getting this confused with garage circuits?

Old 09-05-07, 10:59 PM
Group Moderator
Not a pro either but if the NM is not inside an enclosed wall but on the outside wall that is not permitted. NM can not be used where it is exposed to possible damage and it can't be used where exposed to moisture.

Old 09-06-07, 04:27 AM
There is no rule in the NEC about outside circuits or garage circuits needing to be 20 amp circuits or be in conduit.

Some places in the US do not allow NM cable, and where this is the case conduit and individual wires must be used.

Cable may no be located where it is subject to potential damage. This means, for example, that you won't be allowed to run it up the outside surface of the wall (inside the room or outside the house).

Old 09-06-07, 05:25 PM
Loosening the staples or the box clamps/connectors may not do it. If the cable has been damaged, replace it.

Old 09-07-07, 09:30 AM
I'll presume the wiring arragment is as follows--- A Black & White "Feed-In" pair to OB#1 , with this pair connected to the GFI "Line" terminals--- a Feed-Out" pair to OB#2 , connected to the GFI "LOad" terminals---

At OB#2 , a Feed-In pair from OB#1 connected at OB#1 to the GFI "Load" terminals. and a "Feed -Out " pair to OB#3 = 2 Blacks & 2 Whites at OB#2 ---- POSSIBLY all 4 wires connect to the terminals of a non-GFI receptacle

At OB#3 . a "Feed-In" pair from OB#2 = End of circuit

To "isolate" the fault,, disconnect the non- GFI receptacles at OB#2 & OB#3 , this done with the circuit "dead" --- seperate ALL conductors at OB#2 & OB#3 = 6 "loose" conductors ---- reset the GFI; if it trips, there may be a fault in the cable between OB#1 & OB#2

If the GFI "holds" , trip the GFI to "kill the juice" on the "Load" side of the GFI, and at OB#2 , wire-nut the 2 Blacks together, and the 2 White together-- reset the GFI-- a trip indicates a fault in the cable between OB#2 and OB#3

Old 09-08-07, 04:24 PM
Thanks to all

Thanks everyone who offered advice. All is well now, I isolated the GFI from the other receptacles down line and it worked. When the load was reattached it didn't work. Turned out to be the next receptacle in line, when tightened down in the box the GFI tripped. When the receptacle was taken out of the box, the GFI worked. Installed a new receptacle and all is well. Thanks again.