60 amps to 100 amps

Old 09-07-07, 07:43 PM
60 amps to 100 amps

Hi All
I have a mobile home and my electrical panel is 100 amps main breaker
the cable from the mobile home is connected to a 60 amps breaker from the meter
i have a ac unit connected to the mobile home panel and i'm want to add a 30 amps breaker for my tankless water heater.
can i add a 30 amp breaker to the existing panel or do i need to change the 60 amps breaker from the meter box to 100 amps and run new conduit and #3 wires dig trench 18" deep from the meter box to the mobile home electrical panel.
Can i do that myself.
I live in Lakeland Florida
i have 3 yrs apprentice electrician from Canada.
Not sure of laws in Lakeland FL

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-07, 08:03 PM
You'd have to get ahold of the authorities to be sure of what you can do yourself.

What gauge wire do you have running from the 60 amp cutoff switch to the main panel? It could be #3 already. The ol' 60 amp boxes could actually handle more than 60 amps total, and because of that they are sometimes wired in with #3. (Like in my house)

The lights main pull-out block have 60 amp fuses, and the range main pull-out block (either 40 or 50 amp set) is also run off of the main incomming lugs in the main panel, and not through the 60 amp lights main fuses. (When you pull the lights main, the range main will still be hot... found that out the hard way once.) So if you have 60ís in for lights mains, and 40s in for range mains, then that old 60 amp box could handle a total of 100 amps.

If you already have #3, then you're good to go.

Are you sure your tankless water heater is only 30 amps? Is this a really small unit? I've heard of tankless systems being in the 60-150 amp range, but not 30.

Old 09-07-07, 08:14 PM
hi
Thank for the input
I will check the wire size from the mobile home electrical box
i know it has a 100 amps main breaker in it
not sure size of breaker for the ac unit it's a heat and ac combo

as for the tankless heater
# 1 SELLING HEATER~SAME DAY SHIPPING~ONE YEAR WARRANTY

LOWER AUCTION PRICE IS FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME----AUCTION MAY BE CANCELED & PRICE INCREASED AT ANY TIME!!!----SO PURCHASE NOW----SUBMIT YOUR BEST OFFER NOW----

DELIVERY CAN TAKE BETWEEN 1 TO 5 BUSINESS DAYS TO ARRIVE DEPENDING WHERE YOU LIVE. I SHIP EVERY DAY MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY. ALL HEATERS ARE SHIPPED NO LATER THAN THE NEXT DAY AFTER PAYMENT IS RECEIVED. IN MANY CASES I CAN SHIP THE VERY SAME DAY.

BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED MAREY POWER PAK - PLUS WHOLE HOUSE ELECTRIC TANKLESS WATER HEATER. RETAIL PRICE $349.99. PERFECT FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE.

Instant unlimited hot water, (heat up to 90 gallons of water per hour)

Save up to 50% in energy costs

Works with low water pressure

Four temperature settings

Save space

Easy installation

High quality and long life heating elements

Built in safety devices

One year warranty

SETTING (I, II, III) Voltage 220v, Breaker 30amp, WATTS 2,000 - 7000

SETTING (IV) Voltage 220v, Breaker 40amp, WATTS 9,000

Height 10 1/4"

Width 11 1/16"

Depth 4 3/4"

Old 09-08-07, 08:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation

I'de be weiry about putting this unit in my home. Their install intructions are not even in english.

http://www.marey.com/english_/home.htm

There install instructions links do not even work......

I would also think twice about getting it from ebay (usabestpricepowerseller) because their ratings are not very good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WHOLE-HOUSE-ELECTRIC-TANKLESS-WATER-HEATER_W0QQitemZ330062740832QQihZ014QQcategoryZ115967QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-09-07, 12:06 AM
Oh, I see I missed an important point in your OP.

If you have a 100 amp panel with a 60 amp breaker running to your 60 amp fuse box, then I doubt you'll have #3 running to your fuse box.

The setup in my house was #3 from the utility company because I do not have a shutoff box between my main panel and the power company lines. So there was nothing limiting the power coming in to my service panel, which could in actuality handle 100 amps.

If you have a 60 amp box on a 60 amp breaker, then you very likely do not have #3 wire where you'd need it to just put in a 100 amp service panel.

But, you can replace the 60 amp breaker feeding your house with a 100 amp breaker, and run #3 from there to your new 100 amp panel. That it assuming you have a main breaker in that 100 amp panel already there (with your house hooked to the 60 amp breaker).... So you can cut the power to the panel where you'd need to replace the 60 amp breaker with the 100 amp breaker.

There is more involved that you should research, such as making sure you have proper grounding (water pipes alone are no longer considered adequate grounding). Then there is the issue of service panel versus sub panel. If your main house box is run off a breaker from another box, then technically it is a sub panel, and the neutral and ground should be separate. That means not using service entry cable to wire your house box, since youíll need 4 total wires.

Be safe!