Metal roof

Old 09-04-07, 05:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Metal roof

Hi:

I am about to reroof my seasonal camp with metal roofing.

At the risk of asking a dumb question...are there any grounding/bonding requirements for this?

Thanks.

Old 09-05-07, 04:20 AM
J
Not sure if this applies to roofing, check your local authority. Code says, "Where extensive metal in or on buildings may become energized and is subject to personal contact, adequate bonding and grounding will provide additional safety." But I did not find specific references to roofing, not to say it is not there. As always, local code applies.

Old 09-09-07, 08:29 AM
I would treat it as a grounding electrode. If you're working on your roof and using power tools, you don't want it to be able to become energized. I would suggest running a #6 copper wire from the panel to bond the roof to ground. If the wire is run so that it's safe from harm (IE in a wall), a raceway is not required. The wire can be bonded to the roof with a mechanical lug. I would bolt the lug on to assure good continuity. Make sure that the lug is rated for your wire size and type of metal being used. If the lug's rated for aluminum and you're using copper wire, you have to use an antioxidation compound such as NO-OX. Also keep in mind what type of metal your roof is made of. Your best bet is to mount the ground lug in a spot where it's free from the elements to help avoid corrosion and assure a good, low resistance ground.

Old 09-09-07, 10:03 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Treat it as The old Aluminium sidding. Yes ground it, and all sheets should be bonded together. This may very well be accomplished by the install method, If nailed in, at each overlap point (at a min.) install a self tapping screw, or nut and bolt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: