Conduit to use in-wall?

Old 09-08-07, 07:36 PM
Conduit to use in-wall?

I am running some low-volt cable within a conduit so it will be easier to upgrade or replace the cable in the future. I went to my local Home Depot thinking I would buy the grey PVC that is typically used for runs of AC cable outdoors or in a garage. The clerk at HD told me that the grey could not be used in-wall and that since I was running LV, that I should use the orange flexible PVC.

Is it true that the grey PVC used for outdoor runs should not be used in wall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-07, 07:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rule #1 - DO NOT listen to the clerk at home depot.

PVC is fine.

Old 09-08-07, 07:44 PM
Wow, that WAS speedy!

Thanks!

Old 09-08-07, 07:49 PM
I've done alot of LV drops in my home and find no need for conduit. I can easily go up in the attic and pull any of the cable I dropped since it's not secured to any wall studs.

Your situation maybe different if you are doing a horizontal run, but if you are not, I wouldn't spend the money. That's just my opinion.

Old 09-08-07, 07:56 PM
nap
Originally Posted by GaetanoL View Post
Wow, that WAS speedy!

Thanks!
why yes that was. speedy petey to be more exact. I'm not on a first name basis with him so I still call him speedy petey.

as to what conduit to use.

any conduit you want to use is legal. the orange stuff may be easier to install, depending on how and where it is run. It is more flexible than pvc and they have these neat little snap couplings and connectors for it rather than having to glue everything.

Old 09-08-07, 09:51 PM
ddr
I think Speedy Petey's spider-sense starts to tingle whenever someone posts that they've gotten advice at Home Depot, just like racraft's alerts him whenever someone posts that they don't know which breakers to check in his/her own house.

Old 09-08-07, 10:20 PM
DDR: i think you almost hit the nail right on with two guys here both been done a wonderfull job in here and they steer alot of peoples in right dricetions as well

even myself i steer them in the right way also.

speaking of PVC conduct in the wall cavity there is no issuse with that it been there for petty long time for other types there is also almost no issuse with it as well.

My shop have EMT conduct inside the wall all the way around i know it take more time but in long run it work out nice for me.

the commercal side been doing this for many years without any side effects at all

Merci, Marc

Old 09-09-07, 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I've done alot of LV drops in my home and find no need for conduit. I can easily go up in the attic and pull any of the cable I dropped since it's not secured to any wall studs.

Your situation maybe different if you are doing a horizontal run, but if you are not, I wouldn't spend the money. That's just my opinion.
Hot,

Yes, I'm looking at conduit for some long horizontal runs, and also because there are a few spots with some curves where I could see things getting snagged. I thought I might use the rigid where I can with the flexible, since the rigid is so much less expensive per foot.

How do you hanlde your horizontal runs? Do you just run them through the studs?

Thanks,
Guy

Old 09-09-07, 06:42 AM
Depending on the situation, I will knotch out a stud and lay the cables in there, but I've installed PVC in portions of my fathers home that ran horizontal. It definetly helps in those situations.

When you do install the runs, be sure to pull a strong fishing line, rope, what have you through the conduit so if you ever need to pull more cable through, you already have one in the conduit. Just remember to attach a piece of string/rope at the end of the cable. Hopefully that makes sense.

Old 09-18-07, 02:56 PM
OK, so I'm moving along with this project of using conduit for my horizontal runs of LV wire. Also using flex conduit for any tricky curves.

I have vertical runs of wire along the way that I'd like to add to the horizontal conduits. What's the proper way to do this? I thought I'd find a "Y," like when I've worked with multi-inch rigid PVC. But I have not seem "Ys" in the small diameter's I'm working with (1/2"-1").

I've come across "tees," but I was concerned that the sharp bends of the T would be too acute for the CAT5 and RG6 that I'm running--I understand that the curve radius for these wires should not be too short.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Old 09-18-07, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are no "Y"s in electrical conduit. There are 45-90 sweeps, "T" condulets, and various "L" fittings. If none of these is sufficient, you can use a 4" square pull box with conduits exiting in whatever direction you wish.

Old 09-18-07, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since any fitting like a T would need to remain accessible in order to add or change wiring in the future you would be better off with 2 independant runs.

Notching the studs will compromise their strength. You can pull the ENT or smurf tube trhu bored holes in the studs.

Old 09-18-07, 05:48 PM
Conduit used for low voltage wires has no requirements for boxes to remain accessible.

I don't recommend they be buried, but they can be.