Hooking up old 240 for Stove

Old 09-09-07, 12:23 PM
Exclamation Hooking up old 240 for Stove

I've been reading through here and a lot of information I found here has been helpful. Although I have a few questions. So I'll start from the beginning.

A house I am renting and moved into was converted into a hair salon with an apartment upstairs from the shop. This is how everything was laid off before moving in. Now I'm trying to get it back to a single family home.

For what ever reason the 240 line to the downstairs kitchen was disconnected and breaker removed. There was an existing 240 upstairs in the kitchen (which was installed recently). The upstairs and downstairs are both on their own individual breaker boxes. There has been some new wiring that was done to accommodate the hair salon.

Anyway, I have already Hooked up the stove.

This is how I did it, I am hoping if anyone sees a flaw in this they will let me know as soon as possible (I'm not an electrician).

I first uninstalled the 50 amp breaker that was being used upstairs for the stove and totally removed the wiring from the breaker box in the attic. As I said, there was an existing wire (not sure what gauge, but its as big as the wire that was used upstairs for the stove) already ran from the basement breaker box to the old kitchen (only wire in the basement that was unhooked from the breaker box, very thick old braided casing with 2 hot 1 ground) so I'm assuming that was the original stove wiring.

I installed the 3 prong receptacle where I wanted the stove and reused the 50 amp breaker (from the attic) to tie in to the breaker box using the old original wiring thats probably as old as the house. 1920's - 30's?

These are the specs I can give you:
50 amp breaker
big old original wire (dont know what gauge, looks like a 6, but not sure)
GE Stove model# JBP26G*N1AD
100 amp Main Breaker

I have counted up all the amps in this breaker box now and it comes to a total of 360 on a 100amp main. Could that be a problem?

I hooked everything up yesterday and haven't been able to sleep to well being unsure everything is done right. So my questions are:

With the GE stove I have is the 50amp breaker what I want to use?
(hoping the old wiring is in good shape, from what I cant see everything looks ok)
Am I going to overload the main breaker? If so what would happen?

and anything else that could be a concern, please let me know.

Do I have anything to worry about when the stove is not in use? Like when I'm sleeping?

Thanks in advance and either way whether it be reasurance or total (your nuts!) with explanation of course, would be helpful!

GE Stove - model# JBP26G*N1AD - The * is a 0, says use on 3 wire 60hz ac only - also says "12.1 - 120/240v" - "9.2 - 120/208v"

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-07, 12:38 PM
You made a big mistake doing anything yourself. You are renting this house. As a rental, you cannot do anything yourself. The liability is just too great for you to want to do anything yourself, and you would likely be charged with a crime should your work ever be responsible for fire, injury, or death.

Have the owner hire a licensed electrician to make any and all repairs or changes. If the owner won't go for this, offer to split the cost in some way. If this is not acceptable, then look for another place to live.

Old 09-09-07, 12:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs down

Reason #1)
@@## "A house I am renting" ##@@

Reason #2)

This is how I did it, I am hoping if anyone sees a flaw in this they will let me know as soon as possible (I'm not an electrician).

Stop there. You can not do any work to this dwelling unit. By Law And Code.

So call the landlord then a lawyer (if needed).

If you touch anything and it goes wrong.... 10 yrs from now... Or shorter.

Guess what. You bought it!

So buy it and fix it. Or be a pain in the butt untill the Landlord does.

Sorry, Just the way it is.

Old 09-09-07, 12:52 PM
And why is it I cant just get a straight out answer beyond legal matters. I appreciate the advice and the warning about lawsuits and such but that isnt the question I asked. I gave a little background of the history of the house to recieve a better responce to my question. I haven't said if I was leasing/ renting to own or what the case was. Its a long story anyway.

Can we stick to the questions I asked?

With the GE stove I have is the 50amp breaker what I want to use?
(hoping the old wiring is in good shape, from what I cant see everything looks ok)

Am I going to overload the main breaker? If so what would happen?

Do I have anything to worry about when the stove is not in use?

Could I get a little reassurance in my work or guidance with explanation in changing anything that may not seem the right way to go electrically? other than hiring an electician or calling a lawyer?
thank you

Old 09-09-07, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
You made a big mistake doing anything yourself.
But isnt this forum called Do It Yourself.com?

Old 09-09-07, 01:20 PM
Doing something yourself is only proper when it is legal and safe to do so.

To further address your question, what you want to do is not proper. You cannot use the existing cable. Your installation requires new four wire cable to be run. Whether the 50 amp breaker is proper or not depends on the specifications of the stove.

Old 09-09-07, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the fast responses, the upstairs wiring and breaker setup was installed using a 3 wire cable 2 hot 1 ground. Even on the stove it states GE "Use on 3 wire 60hz A.C. Only" and there is a 3 prong male coming out the back of the stove.

Thanks for addressing the legalities and I am totally aware of the risks, thats why I came to this forum to post and was hoping for helpful information from someone to point me, myself in the right direction in wiring this up the proper way (or making sure it was wired correctly.)

I'll just go to another forum for help.
Thanks

Old 09-09-07, 01:58 PM
A three wire sub panel in the attic is unsafe, and YOU should be very concerned about that. It represents a life danger to YOU living there.

In my opinion you need to talk with the landlord about a proper inspection and repair by a licensed electrician. If that doesn't sit well with the landlord, then you should speak with an attorney. It sounds like you are living in an unsafe situation. Your own attempts to make it better will only make it worse.

Don't be a fool. Do nothing more yourself and do the right thing.

Old 09-09-07, 02:07 PM
So you're saying I need the newer type "3 wire w/ground"?

So could you tell me why an actual electrician would have wired up the stove upstairs with 2 wire w/ground and the stove has the 2 wire w/ground connections on it?

I'm using the same stove, breaker and receptacle that was in use upstairs for the last 3 years. It was run on a 6 gauge wire with 2 hots and one ground.

Then what you are telling me is that was wired wrong?

with the 3 wire w/ground. i know where the connections go for the 2 hot and ground ...but where would the neutral go to on the receptacle? being a 3 prong type? i know it goes on the neutral bar in the breaker box.

or would I have to change the plug from the stove also?

Old 09-09-07, 02:14 PM
I totally removed the 240 for the stove connection in the attic breaker box. There is only a 220 for an upstairs dryer and the rest of the upstair lights and outlets in that box (thats it).

I am very concerned about the safety of the wiring in this house, obviously more so than the people who was here before and the electrician that wired everything up.

I am just concerned about the safety of the oven. From the way I installed it on the first floor kitchen is the exact same as the upstairs was installed only using an older pre-run wire.

Old 09-09-07, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
A three wire sub panel in the attic is unsafe, and YOU should be very concerned about that. It represents a life danger to YOU living there.
It is not a sub-panel ...the upstairs is completely wired on its own meter outside the house with another 100 amp main. The upstairs and downstairs are on two different meters.

The only sub panel that is installed on the property is in the garage running off the downstairs basement breaker box, on a 30 amp breaker.

But we're getting away from my main concern which is the stove. ;P

Old 09-09-07, 02:29 PM
Have your landlord call an electrician. Do not do this yourself.

Old 09-09-07, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by jack0fall View Post
with the 3 wire w/ground. i know where the connections go for the 2 hot and ground ...but where would the neutral go to on the receptacle? being a 3 prong type? i know it goes on the neutral bar in the breaker box.

or would I have to change the plug from the stove also?
3-wire with ground has your two hots, a neutral and a ground. So therefore the recepticle has 4 holes in it to be able to hook them all up. The range cord would have 4 corresponding prongs. (At the terminal block for your stove, where the range cord hooks up, you then also have to disconnect the neutral to ground jumper that connects between the center connection stud and the metal case of the range (or dryer)when switching to the 4-wire system, to isolate the neutral from the ground.

Old 09-09-07, 03:57 PM
Wink Because

#[email protected] And why is it I cant just get a straight out answer beyond legal matters.*&^*

You told us too much upfront!

And I-(We) don't want to fall "VICTIM" to the wicked animals out there.

Pretty sad commentary, isn't it ??!! Oh well.

Some think it's an attitude, More so a "CYA".