ceiling fan wiring...

Old 09-10-07, 11:45 AM
ceiling fan wiring...

I want to wire a ceiling fan to two switches - the fan in the middle of two three way switches (power enters @fan) and the light hooked to the end of a run of hallway lights. This fan only has one neutral for both fan and light - does that matter? I am missing a wire when I try to do both set ups....thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-07, 11:57 AM
Is this an existing setup? Please describe better what you are starting with and what you want to add.

Old 09-10-07, 12:21 PM
Sort of existing, there was a light there. At the top of the stairs I am adding a ceiling fan w/light. Around the landing are 2 more lights, all of which are in a 4-way switch combo that this forum helped me get right. I brought one 14-2 off the end of the light run for the ceiling fan light only, I would like all the lights but not the fan work off of the 4way switches.
Additionally, and actually where the old light fixture was, I have 2- 3way switches, top and bottom of the stairs and am bringing the power into the fixture box altho I could take it to a switch, but it would be a pain.
Bottom line, I have a neutral in from the power line and a need to hook to white in my 14-3s, but only one white from the fan/light combo. Is it so simple that I just jump off that one wire to be able to hook both places?
Thanks again

Old 09-10-07, 12:27 PM
I still do not completely understand your setup.

You need to start at the beginning. Tell us ALL the wiring. In order to get a fan switched separately then you will need unswitched power at the ceiling that you can run a switch loop for, or you will have to replace at least some of the wiring with 14-4 cable so that you can run a switched hot for the fan.

Old 09-10-07, 01:22 PM
One neutral for both the fan and the light is okay, if and only if they are both running on the same circuit. In fact, they better both be on the same circuit no matter how many neutrals you have.

I don't understand the rest of your setup enough to know if it's safe. It does, however, sound like you are being "creative" and that is almost never good.

Old 09-10-07, 01:48 PM
Tell me if this is what yo have.
new fan with light in place of a single light fixture that was controlled by three way swithces.
You brought a cable from exsting light fixtures(controlled by three switches) to control the light.
You brought a power cable into the fan location and want to use the existing three ways(not the same switches that control the lights) to control the fan. There are a total of five switches involved here.

You can do this if the new power cable is on the same breaker as the light fixtures.

Old 09-10-07, 02:46 PM
Yes, joed, you have it, except that there are 6 switches, 4 with the original light set up. They are on the same breaker. I was just unsure as the other fans I put up recently were a different/fancier variety and had separate wiring for the light, including a neutral.
This has been a long slow process, and the original power to that original light had gotten drafted for the hallway light run with the plan there would be a light at the top of the stairs eventually, then the fan idea came into play and complicated my thinking when I wanted it switched separate.
I never wanted to be creative. If it doesn't follow the picture, I ask!
Thanks!

Old 09-10-07, 04:15 PM
Please describe how you intend to run power for the fan. You may very well create an unsafe situation if you don't run it properly.