Weird Electrical Situation? can you explain it?

Old 09-12-07, 05:15 AM
Weird Electrical Situation? can you explain it?

Ok, this is a weird one.

My house has two electrical circuits. Both are at approx 245V (In Australia). Everything in my house runs fine on either circuit (TV, VCR, DVD, Computer, lighting, Fridge, microwave etc) EXCEPT for my AV Receiver/Amp. It works extremely intermittently on one of the circuits, but always works without fault on the other circuit. The power has been tested, and there is a less than 1V difference between each of the circuits. The power has been tested to ensure that it is getting to the receiver (it is). can anybody explain, or offer any suggestio9ns as to why this could be happening? As I said everything else works fine on the same circuit as the receiver. I have tried the receiver in multiple power points in the same circuit and the problem exists in all instances (it refuses to turn on, even though the unit is receiving an appropriate amount of power). The same power points/outlets work fine for ALL other devices that I have tried.

To further confuse the situation the receiver had been in the same location and working fine for almost 3 years prior to this intermittent fault developing.

I have pretty much ruled out any 'fault' with the receiver as it works and operates perfectly fine on the other circuit (and has been tested externally - at first I thought the issue was with the receiver and so I took it to the repair shop to be looked at - they could find no fault with the unit despite extensive testing).

If anyone could make any suggestions about what the issue could be they would be greatly appreciated.. at the moment it is mind boggling to both myself and my electrician.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 06:05 AM
A couple of WAG.
Something else on that circuit is causing interference. I'm thinking possibly things like X10 wireless switches, digital power supply in a PC, TV remote retransmitters.

Old 09-12-07, 06:18 AM
I agree.
Do you have other typical imtermitent loads on the same circuit. e.g. refrigator, washing machine... try to unplug this, but dont forget to plug in your fridge or freezer again.
If so, may it be some connection? could a wiring; mixing live, neutral and ground has happend? (did you recently change any outlet breaker or switch?)

dsk

Old 09-12-07, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Nothing has really changed around the time that the fault has developed.

You could be onto something though, as I had the Receiver plugged into the circuit on which it displays the fault and this morning it was on without any problems. I was able to turn it on and off several times without it skipping a beat. At the moment nothing is connected to the receiver. The fridge and washing machines are on this circuit, PC is on the other circuit. I have no remote retransmitters. No breakers or switches have been changed recently.

If it does work out that something (more likely to be the fridge than anything else I would say, seeing as the washin machine is n't used that often, and certainly shows no correlation between when the fault occurs and when it is in use). I'll try the receiver when I get home. If the fault is occurring, I'll disconnect the refridgerator and will try again. There is also an automatic water boiler that I may do the same with. Long shot, but at the moment anything seems possible.

Old 09-13-07, 04:02 AM
My testing was interrupted by the fact that when I tried the receiver this evening it worked fine. Earlier in the afternoon it was dead as a door knob (wouldn't turn on at all). This introduces potentially some sort of time issue (what is happening at the times when it doesn't work, I don't know). I turned off the fridge, and checked that it worked fine (it did obviously) then turned the fridge back on and it was still working. Likewise with the water heating jug device.

So at this stage, no closer to determining the cause of the issue, any further suggestions welcomed. I'm going to keep monitoring the time situation over the next several days to determine if there is some correlation between time, and when the receiver does and doesn't work. My testing yesterday with the electrician was at 5:30-7 (roughly the same time as when I tested the unit with it not working today).

Old 09-13-07, 04:33 AM
My only thoughts at this point is....

Unplug everything on that circuit except the receiver. If it works then plug in items until the receiver no longer works.

And then, turn off every breaker ON THE SIDE OF THE PANEL with that circuit. Turn them back on one at a time until the receiver fails. And try try the rest if necessary..

If you do this at a time when the receiver is not working, and it works when everything else is off you may find the offending appliance or circuit. At least narrow your field somewhat.

Old 09-13-07, 03:13 PM
I'm expecting that the receiver will not be working this afternoon (as seems to be the case around that time), that will give me a chance to try to find an offending appliance (if that is the cause of the issue).

For the record at 6am-7am this morning the receiver was not working.

Old 09-13-07, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try a voltage recorder. This may be a delivery issue.

Old 09-13-07, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
Try a voltage recorder. This may be a delivery issue.
What other than actual voltage will this record? During times when the receiver would not turn on the voltage actually getting to the unit was a steady 245V.