Working with the electric company...

Old 09-12-07, 07:35 PM
Working with the electric company...

I'm pulling a homeowner's permit to upgrade the service from 100 to 200 amps on the house I'm renovating before we move in.

I'll be doing only the SE cable, meter base, and service panel on this permit.

I've done this task before, successfully, but on a house that wasn't connected at the time. So I only had to deal with the power company after I'd done the work.

What is the usual procedure for interacting with the power company for this, at least in your experience?

I'll be getting a call soon from one of their engineers, who I'm sure will answer all my questions, but I'd appreciate knowing the sort of things to expect?

Thanks!

Mike D.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just had a chat with the poco earlier this week on a similar situation. I'm sure each company varies, but they said it would be a minimum of $240 to disconnect/reconnect. And if they had to come back twice (once to disconnect and again to reconnect) there would be an additional fee.
So instead I'm going with an electrician with the experience and the equipment to do the disconnect and reconnect, and involve the poco only to get their sign-off on the overhead wires.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-07, 08:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In my area, you call the 1-800 number about 3 days before you plan to upgrade and they will schedule a technician to come out and disconnect the service and/or pull the meter. They can usually make it back out later in the day to reconnect, but sometimes it will take until the next day. The power company does not charge for this service.

Often if you hire an electrician to do the upgrade he will do the disconnect and a temporary reconnect a few hours later when when he's done. A power company technician will come by a few days later and do the permanent reconnect. However, there are some areas that only allow power company technicians to touch the meter, meter can or service drop wires.