doorbell

Old 09-12-07, 07:11 PM
doorbell

Today I installed a doorbell in my home. There wasn't one before, so I started from scratch. I followed the directions, wired per schematics and all was great..... until I hooked up the second chime. The first one worked great "ding dong", but once I added the second one (in parallel) they both sounded weak, and the "ding dong" turned into a "ding". I bought the larger of the transformers available, and wired it with the 16V option. There are three arrangements - one 8v, one 16v, & one 24v. The bell and buzzer both say 8v to 16v.
Thanks for any advice.
If I need a bigger transformer, where do I get it? I shopped Home Depot, Menards and Lowes and bought the biggest of my choices.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 08:05 PM
You need a transformer with more power output. Generally, you need 10va for one chime, 20va for two chimes, and 30va for three chimes. All of these are readily available at home centers. All will be 16 volts. For more reliable operation, you can certainly use the 30va for two chimes.

Old 09-13-07, 04:39 AM
As I mentioned, I bought the biggest one that I could find @ Lowes, Menards or Home Depot. I guess I'll look online for a bigger transformer.

Old 09-13-07, 04:49 AM
Instead of just blindly replacing the transformer again, although that almost for sure the problem, read the specs on the transformer AND on the chimes. Total up the amp draw on the chimes and compare to the rated amps on the transformer. You need a transformer rated at least the total of the required amps of the chimes plus a little extra.

Old 09-13-07, 06:41 AM
The term "biggest" has no meaning. Buy one with the highest "va" rating.

Old 09-13-07, 07:51 AM
The biggest or highest VA rating available at LOWEs might not be big enough for your situration. You might need to go to electrical supply house.
Give us the ratings off the chimes and the transformer.

Old 09-13-07, 09:34 AM
Are the "audible" equiptments 2 chimes , 2 bells, 2 buzzers , or a combination of the three.?

Given 2 chimes rated at 16 volts , similiar in design , and the two will not operated on a single 16-volt transformer ---

Buy a 2nd transformer identical to the one connected--- connect a wire between any terminal on T1 and any terminal on T2 ---- read the voltage across the 2 "open" ( un-connected ) terminals ---- if the reading is 32 volts , then transfer the "jumper" wire to a different terminal on T1 ( or T2 ). ---- if the reading is now Zero volts, then connect the 2 wires from the button -chime circuit to the two transformers as follows --- one wire to the two "open" transformer terminals, and one wire to one of the two transformer terminals where the "jumper" wire between T1 & T2 connect.