underground cable break

Old 09-14-07, 08:32 PM
underground cable break

so i have a awg6/3 goin from my main panel approx 200ft to a barn at the back of the property to a 40amp sub panel...the wire was severed by the guys operating the post auger...i dug up the spot and the wire is shredded pretty good.Since the run is so long (and wire so expensive)what are my options?can i bury 2 jb's underground and splice in a waterproof enclosure??any advice would be great..thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-07, 09:04 PM
No, you cannot bury two junction boxes. You need to buy two UF splice kits and a length of 6/3 cable. You will cut out the damaged section of cable and install the section you bought, using the splice kits to make permanent underground connections.

I hope that you are charging the fence company for your time and materials. Unless you neglected to tell them where the cable was buried, they are responsible for the repair, since they did the damage.

Old 09-14-07, 09:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If this is an underground cable, an electrical supply house will have underground splice kits. These can be made up with or without a box.

If in conduit, then the 2 J-Box set up is fine.

Old 09-14-07, 09:27 PM
wow quick response!!!yes it is ug cable and i think the splice kits are the way to go..thanks alot for the help fellas!!