underground cable break


Old 09-14-07, 09:32 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 36
underground cable break

so i have a awg6/3 goin from my main panel approx 200ft to a barn at the back of the property to a 40amp sub panel...the wire was severed by the guys operating the post auger...i dug up the spot and the wire is shredded pretty good.Since the run is so long (and wire so expensive)what are my options?can i bury 2 jb's underground and splice in a waterproof enclosure??any advice would be great..thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-07, 10:04 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
No, you cannot bury two junction boxes. You need to buy two UF splice kits and a length of 6/3 cable. You will cut out the damaged section of cable and install the section you bought, using the splice kits to make permanent underground connections.

I hope that you are charging the fence company for your time and materials. Unless you neglected to tell them where the cable was buried, they are responsible for the repair, since they did the damage.
Old 09-14-07, 10:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
If this is an underground cable, an electrical supply house will have underground splice kits. These can be made up with or without a box.

If in conduit, then the 2 J-Box set up is fine.
Old 09-14-07, 10:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 36
wow quick response!!!yes it is ug cable and i think the splice kits are the way to go..thanks alot for the help fellas!!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes