Removal of oven range hood

Old 09-15-07, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removal of oven range hood

Hello,
I could use some advice on removing a range hood that is installed above our stove. It is currently hard wired into the wall (you know.. a hole was punched and the electric wire was wired straight into the device).

I am not an electrician and would like some advice on how to cut and properly tie off the live wires so they are not a hazard.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-07, 09:42 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
options

Welcome. You will need some type of voltage tester.

1st, Identify the power source, IE: breaker. turn off the power. Now under the hood,near the filter (you may have to remove the light) There will be an electrical access panel.Open that and remove the connectins and the locknut for the connector that should be there.

Now get some help and remove the mounting screws and the hood will come right down.

2nd, find any and all devices in the kitchen that now don't work. My best guess would be that the wire in the hood comes from the nearest recep.

From here you can go 1 of 3 ways, 1- install a box in the wall and cap the old wires and your done.
2- mount a new hood vent.
3- Find the other end of the vent cable and disconnect it at the point of termination, cut both ends off and that wire can be buried in the wall.

The last situation will take some time and trouble shooting,you must be very sure that this does not disconnect any thing else.