New outlet from light switch?

Old 09-16-07, 12:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New outlet from light switch?

I would like to install a new electrical outlet. The closest power source is a light switch, which controls the overhead lights. The proposed location for the outlet is directly below the switch.

in layman's terms, I can see how I can connect to the hot wire going into the switch, but how do I tie into the return wire? And am I right in assuming that the ground for the switch could be tied to the switch ground?

Or should I forget all this stuff, call an electrician and go back to watching the DIY network?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-07, 01:40 PM
R
First you have to figure out if you are allowed to tap the circuit the light is on. That depends on what room in the house wae are talking about.

Next you determine if the light switch can be tapped. Does the switch contain a neutral wire and a ground wire?

Next you determine if the circuit can support a receptacle. This depends on what the receptacle is for and on what the present load on the circuit already is.

If you provide that information, we can help you decide, and then provide information on how to do this.

Old 09-16-07, 08:06 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
##Or should I forget all this stuff, call an electrician####

Most certainly Call. We have bills too.

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
First you have to figure out if you are allowed to tap the circuit the light is on. That depends on what room in the house wae are talking about.

Next you determine if the light switch can be tapped. Does the switch contain a neutral wire and a ground wire?

Next you determine if the circuit can support a receptacle. This depends on what the receptacle is for and on what the present load on the circuit already is.

If you provide that information, we can help you decide, and then provide information on how to do this.
We'll figure all that out for you, thats what we get paid for (bounced checks and all)

(Wink,Wink.)

As racraft mentioned, more info of the situation is needed, Definately something you can do.

(but we do have bills due )

Old 09-17-07, 07:46 AM
J
Not all light switches are a "power source". If there is a white wire connected to the switch, it is not a power source. Even if there is no white wire connected to the switch, it still might not be a power source if it is a 3-way switch.

Provide the information Bob requested. Don't forget to give us the detail about all the wiring in the switch box (and not just the wires connected to the switch itself).