single pole vs double pole

Old 09-16-07, 01:20 PM
Question single pole vs double pole

Just curious if a 20a double pole breaker can be used for one "or two" seperate 120v branch circuits using 12/2 G, of course? Is this not bascically the same as what we have at a multi-wire circuit using a double pole breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-07, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, the breaker can be used that way. The only inconvenience is that they will always trip together.

NO, this is NOT the same thing as a multi-wire circuit.
A MWBC shares a neutral. Your example has two neutrals.

Old 09-16-07, 01:31 PM
Why would you even think about putting in a double pole when 20A 120 volt singles will individually cut off just one circuit, if there is a problem on just ONE of the two circuits? Why cut off two circuits?

Surely such a practice would even be against code, you'd think. This would only confuse anyone going into your panel box. They'd presume the double pole 20's are for your water heater or 240 volt electric baseboard heaters or something else that is 240 volts.

I see that Speedy Petey responded while I was typing. If he says it's okay, then it must be okay. I'll be. Maybe I'm not following something right here. I thought I was.

Last edited by ecman51; 09-16-07 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old 09-16-07, 01:41 PM
Like I said, there IS a downside to doing this. It's just not code prohibited.

Old 09-16-07, 02:19 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. Actually ecman51, I have no such plans, but I would bet that it's out there to be found. I will certainly now recognize such a circuit (if I ever see one) without causing myself un-necessary alarm and or confusion. Also it's usefull for a temporary ( unless your dead set against such a practice) replacement if you happen have a single, and not a double available at the time. And yes one should always be considerate and try to avoid confusion for the next party that comes along , even though what you are doing is legal. I am in total agreement. Thanx for your time in responding