Can't get old pool light cord out

Old 09-16-07, 02:30 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can't get old pool light cord out

I need to change my pool light. I cannot budge the cord pulling at the switch box end of the conduit. I poured liquid wrench into the conduit at the switch box end several times but was still unable to get any movement pulling the cord. I tied an electrician's fish tape to the switch box end. Then, I wrapped the pool end of the wire around a one inch diameter wooden rod at the pool edge and tried to pry the cord loose at that end. I was unable to move it. What do you recommend? About what would it cost to have the old conduit dug up and replaced? Email reply to [email]xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/email].

Last edited by GregH; 09-16-07 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Email address in posts is not permitted.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-07, 03:23 PM
F
For the pool light system if i recalled it right there are two verison there.

there is a wet nitched verison and there is dry nitched verison

IMO i will just leave this to more qualifed person to expalin how to do this safe.

i could expain but i rather not to for safety reason there is quite few diffrent way to unlock the ring to get the lumiaires out

http://www.recreonics.com/images/hydrel_4425-27.jpg
this above link is wet nitched verison

i think the dry verison is very simuair to this but i might be wrong on this one

i will let other chime in with more answer for this question

Merci , Marc

Old 09-16-07, 03:25 PM
More than likely the conduit was leaking at one time and was sealed. It is usually seal from inside pool at the back of light niche where the cord enters. This will need to be removed, an ice pick will sometime work however you have to be careful not to puncture cord.

Old 09-16-07, 03:43 PM
M
I only deal with wet niche lights. For those, the light and the cord comes out of the pool niche. You're pulling the wrong way if that is your case. (Unless, of course, you cut the light from the cord, then it should be able to go either way.)

Old 09-16-07, 04:39 PM
R
You don't have a choice now, you MUST replace it. The liquid wrench is not compatible with the wire insulation, and the existing wire and any new wire will be not usable.

Old 09-16-07, 08:33 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I poured liquid wrench into the conduit ##

Wow, very bad decision! You may have very well compromised the conduit itself ( that can be costly). The wires are "toast", No choice but to change them.

Most likely there is a junction box somewhere. (under the diving board?)

Old 09-16-07, 11:55 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I might as well get my two cents in. Like the others why are you pulling from the switch end? I can only assume you want to change to an entire new bulb and niche assembly and you cut the cord from the bulb housing. Now the cord won't come out of the conduit. If this is the case then the liquid wrench was a good try but my guess is the original install has some 90 elbows that are not allowing the cord to pull through. I've been there and it really sucks. Never use a 90 elbow with rubber cord. Could be other things but that is my WAG. Liquid wrench isn't going to help. One thing you can try is a slide hammer puller. It works about 50% of the time for a situation like yours. Just attach cord to the puller and slide the weight back in a jerking motion. There is good news and bad news with this method ....either the cord comes out or it breaks off up in the conduit.

roger

Old 09-17-07, 06:02 AM
H
Question Can't Get Old Pool Light Cord Out

This is a wet niche pool light. Yes, I have cut the old light off the cord because it had corroded through its metal housing. The pool store said to attach the old cord to the new cord at the pool and to pull the old cord out through the switch box to be sure I can get the new cord in where the old cord came out.

Are there lubricants I can use at the switch box to loosen the cord? Should I be trying to dig in the ground to see if I can find a junction box between the switch box and the pool? I will see if I can use an ice pick or similar to loosen around the pool end of the cord.

When I am ready for total surrender, should I call a pool man or an electrician? Does anybody have a feel for what it would cost to have the conduit dug up and replaced? Who do I call for that?

Old 09-17-07, 06:17 AM
R
You need an electrician for the electrical portion. A reputable pool company will not do electrical work unless they have an electrician on staff. Most do not and stipulate that the homeowner hire one. Sometimes the pool company may sub-contract one.

A pool company can certainly place the light, but that is all they would do. An electrician can also do this.

My advice is to give up on the existing conduit, as you have ruined it with the liquid wrench. You may be able to replace the portion damaged by the liquid wrench, but NOT if you manage to pull the cord all the way through and end up with liquid wrench all through it.

Old 09-17-07, 06:49 AM
H
Can't Get Old Pool Light Cord Out

Guys, The part of the conduit coming out of the ground at the switch box looks metal. If it is metal, how would liquid wrench ruin it? Is liquid wrench really that damaging to the insulation on new cords? It seemed like a logical choice to loosen a cord stuck in a conduit.

Old 09-17-07, 06:58 AM
R
The conduit is less of a concern, as it will probably eventually leak anyway and fill with water.

Liquid wrench is designed to eat away at rust and loosen stuck metal. My guess is that the directions clearly state that it may damage plastic, etc. I do not know the ingredients, but suspect it has oil as one of them.

While it may not damage the insulation immediately, it will do so in the long run. Don't take chances. Electricity can and does kill people.

Old 09-17-07, 08:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Hreynolds, how can you be sure Liquid Wrench doesn't remain in places in the conduit to slowly break down new wires. Guess you could flush the conduit and pull a rat through. This is one of the concerns of the previous posters and why they were so concerned about not just the wire but the conduit.

Old 09-17-07, 09:31 AM
H
Can't Get Old Pool Light Cord Out

I still need more suggestions on how to fix my problem of getting the old pool light cord out of the old conduit.

I also need suggestions on how to replace the old conduit if you think that is the way to go. Should I try to do it myself at age 69?

The switch box end of the conduit comes up out of the ground right next to a round brick flower bed with a tree in the middle of it. The pool end of the conduit is about 5 to 6 feet below ground.

Old 09-17-07, 10:25 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hreynolds:

Typically the conduit would terminate in a junction box after leaving the switch. Then conduit down to the pool light forming shell. It sounds like you have the cord at the switch box which is rather odd so this may be an older installation before they required the pool junction box for wet niche luminaires. Have you looked for a junction box above ground? Maybe hidden in a flower bed or by a bush or something? Is this luminaire line voltage or low voltage using a transformer?

Anyway those are some things we need to know so that you can get this all back correctly in the end. An electrician that has done pools will know these things.

At this point you or someone younger is going to have to start digging at the switch and try to uncover the conduit to see where it is binding the cord. Could be a tree root has compromised the conduit and trapped the cord. Not going to know till you start digging. I really don't see a problem with the liquid wrench provided you can pull a rat through the conduit and dry it out after you get the cord out but you may end up replacing the conduit anyway. This is really a big job if you have a concrete walkway around the pool.

One word of caution do not pull the forming shell out of the side of the pool wall unless you have no other choice.

Also the luminaire assy must be the same or compatible with the forming shell not just any ole wet niche luminarie will work.

How close is the switch to the pool? Does it look like the conduit just goes to the forming shell from that switch?

Roger

Old 09-17-07, 04:18 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Metal conduit

I am less concerned with the conduit now.

What is the age of the pool install (year approx.)
This will give us all a better understanding of the code enforced at the time.
As we all know things and ways of doing them have changed.

With that, If metal conduit, My guess would be that the switch and light are no more than 10' to 20' away from each other. My next guess would be that the corrossion in the metal conduit has adheard to the original lamp cord (most likely the case).

You may be left with 1 option. Dig outside of the aporin (deck), Find the conduit, cut it free. Now you would run from there to the switch location with new conduit.

With the correct change over fittings and wires.
This will not disrupt your nice deck, and will correct the problem.