Crazy Electrical Receptacle

Old 09-17-07, 08:21 AM
Crazy Electrical Receptacle

I just finished remodeling my kitchen and after the new sheetrock was installed, I put in new electrical receptacles. One of them is not working correctly. The crazy thing is, the receptacle works fine if a radio is plugged in but if I plug in my fridge then it stops working. The circuit doesn't trip though. I can turn off the radio by simply plugging in the fridge to the same receptacle that the radio is plugged in to! As soon as I unplug the fridge, the radio starts working again. Now, you're probably thinking there is something wrong with the fridge but the fridge works fine if it is plugged in to other electrical receptacles in the room.

There are two lines going to the box with this "crazy" receptacle. One is for a switch for the kitchen light (which isn't installed yet so I don't know if it works) and the other is for the receptacle.

Any ideas? Any important info that I am leaving out?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-07, 08:26 AM
Yes, you wired it wrong would be my guess.

Tell us the wiring. Tell us ALL the wiring. The wiring at this location, the wiring for the switch, etc.

You do realize that you can't get your light power from here, right, unless you intend to make the receptacle switched, or half switched and it;s a plug in light.

Old 09-17-07, 08:34 AM
I'm not changing any of the wiring. When I started the remodel, there was a box with an electrical receptacle and a light switch. The electrical receptacle worked fine before.

There are two lines coming into the box. Each with a black and white wire. I have the electrical receptacle hooked up to one of the lines and the switch hooked up to the other. I'm not sure where the lines are run from though.

Old 09-17-07, 08:42 AM
Tell us the wiring. Tell us ALL the wiring. What wires are in each cable? How are those wires connected? Be specific.

It doesn't matter that you aren't changing the wiring. Since you removed the old sheetrock and are installing new, the job is significant enough to require bringing the electrical up to code. Even if it weren't required, you be a fool not to.

Old 09-17-07, 09:33 AM
You may have 2 problems --- a "cross" in the wiring , and a break in the wiring that has caused the fridge load to be in series with as hi-resistance load.

The problem coulfd be in th Outlet-Box ( O-B ) where the fridge connects, or at another O-B.

Old 09-17-07, 09:45 AM
Check all your connections on the circuit. Don't use the pushin back stab connecitons. It could be loose connection that will handle very light loads like the radio but not the fridge.

Old 09-17-07, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
There are two lines coming into the box. Each with a black and white wire. I have the electrical receptacle hooked up to one of the lines and the switch hooked up to the other.
You need to check each cable for voltage using either an analog multimeter or a test light. Did the switch ever control any thing? Was it the receptacle in the same box?

Old 09-17-07, 12:02 PM
I suggest PATTBAA hit on the problem when he mentioned that the receptacle might now be in series with another load. This will reduce the voltage down to where the radio will still work, but the refrigerator will not.

Note that if you conduct voltage tests, you need to do it under load. Measuring the voltage of the outlet when nothing is plugged in won't tell you much of anything useful. But don't leave the refrigerator plugged in there for long or you risk damaging its motor.

By any chance to you remember how this box was wired before you took the switch and receptacle out. I think it's fair to assume that it wasn't wired as you have it now.

Old 09-17-07, 01:28 PM
If this is a kitchen receptacle , and the wiring is Code-compliant , then it's connected to a 20 amp circuit that may or may not include dining-room receptacles in addition to other kitchen receptacles.

I suggest you plug in the radio, and if it plays, then un-plug all cords now plugged into the other receptacles on this circuit. If this causes the radio to stop playiny, you have "opened" the circuit by un-plugging a connected load , which indicates a connection problem.

Good Luck , & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!!