Height recommendation for outoor in-use box.

Old 09-20-07, 04:33 AM
Height recommendation for outoor in-use box.

I am about to install an outdoor in-use box and I was wondering if there was a minimum height requirement for an outdoor box?

If not a code, then a recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-07, 04:53 AM
No code requirement. I suggest that you place it above the snow line so that snow against the house isn't an issue.

Old 09-20-07, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am not aware of any NEC requirement, although some local codes do specify 18" or 24". I recommend at least 24".

Old 09-20-07, 12:14 PM
Put it wherever is most convenient and attractive to plug in whatever you're going to plug in, as long as it's above the snow line. Consider how the cord will run and put the receptacle where the cord will be reasonably safe from physical damage.

Old 09-22-07, 06:11 AM
Thanks for all replies.

My property slopes such that one of my 3 boxes will be too low to the ground for my comfort. For that one, when I drill my hole through the foundation from my basement, the hole will only be ~ 18" above the ground.

I would like to place the box higher, so I imagine that I can run the wire through some conduit to a more appropriate height. My question is: Should I have the conduit alone run from indoor to outdoor up to the outlet box, or should I have an LB fitting (or some other type of box) at the transition from indoor to outdoor, and then have the conduit run up to the box? Is there a code on this?

Old 09-22-07, 07:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fittings

From the house, stub a short pc ov PVC out to a "LB" fitting then up to the box.
This will make for a neat and correct install.

Old 09-22-07, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The usual method would be to use (2) 1 foot-ish long pieces of pvc conduit and an LB fitting glued to make a big "L".