Laundry room Outlets

Old 09-20-07, 01:41 PM
Laundry room Outlets

I may have to ask this in the plumbing forum also..

Are there any Code specified distances, between an outlet and a water pipe?
I have a dedicated outlet installed for the washing machine, But as I looked at the way the water pipes are routed, An unpredicted water leak would soak the outlet. Probably not gonna happen....But probability has no place in safety issues.

The outlet is GFC protected, but is that enough?
Does NEC have a point on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-07, 02:27 PM
No. They can be right next to each other. The pipes should nit touch the receptacle box or the cable, but other than that they van be right next to each other.

Old 09-20-07, 02:38 PM
Thank you Racraft..... I feel better now. as soon as Im done in the L-room, My plumbing projects start. Mrs Diezel had plans for "IN-USE" covers over the L-Room outlets

Thanks again as always for the help.

Old 09-21-07, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it concerns you, you can use a GFI receptacle. That will protect you against water-induced shocks. I'd personally rather go that way rather than in-use covers. Granted, some people would recommend against a GFI on a motor-driven appliance, but newer GFIs rarely have a problem.

Old 09-22-07, 05:37 PM
The "IN-USE" covers were my wifes suggestion, as I stared in confusion at the water pipes. Actually --The outlet is a GFC and
dedicated to the washer. It wont be left unnattended, and everything Ive done in the last 10 years has been followed by a "Family Conversation" on how it is supposed to work and what to do when it doesnt. I was curious as to code, if I had to move the pipes, the outlet or both. I Figured if I- A novice homeowner Noticed a potential problem --sure enuff an Inspector would question it. Maybe a bit paranoid in my thinking, but it certainly gave me a reason to ask.

Thanks

Old 09-22-07, 08:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Save the money

So long as your plumbing connections are good (not spraying water) there is no need for "in use" covers.

These are intended for outdoor use. Things that will be plugged in for a while, in all types of weather.

Old 09-23-07, 12:15 AM
The GFCI should protect you and Mrs. Diezel. If you're feeling ambitious and you want to move it, have at it. The code can't answer all the "what-if's". If you feel like the water pipe could leak into the box someday, it wouldn't be a bad idea to move one or the other. I'd suggest that you at least test the GFCI from time to time to make sure it's working properly.