Furnace wiring + condensate pump

Old 09-22-07, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace wiring + condensate pump

My furnace specifies a maximum 15A circuit. The wiring from the panel is 12/2, and the breaker is 15A. I have a small (2A) condensate pump I wish to install. I would like to:

Change the 15A breaker to a 20A, install a receptacle in the furnace closet for the condensate pump, and install a 15A fused disconnect for the furnace with power from the receptacle.

This would keep the furnace on a max 15A, and also supply power for my condensate pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-07, 03:31 PM
How many amps does your furnace need? Are you sure you need to go to all this trouble?

Old 09-22-07, 03:45 PM
The furnace ampacity is listed as 13.4A, and the max fuse or breaker must be 15A as indicated on the unit.

I need to install an outlet for the condensate pump, and doing it this way would let me use the existing wiring to the furnace rather than running a new circuit.

I read somewhere the NEC requires the furnace to be on a dedicated circuit, so that is where my concern stems.

Old 09-25-07, 11:15 AM
Convert the existing 20 amp Branch - Circuit to a "Feeder" by terminating the 12/2 conductors on the lugs of a 2-circuit panel .

DO NOT connect the EGC of the 12/2 cable to ANY Neutral terminations -- Bond a lug to the metallic surface of the enclosure , and connect all cable EGC's to the lug which "Bonds" together the enclosure and the EGc's .

Old 09-25-07, 11:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
I'd suggest tapping power from some other circuit nearby (basement lights, garage receptacle, etc) as the condensate pump is generally quite a low draw. That way you don't have to worry about additional fuses or panels or such. Just install a simplex receptacle (non-GFI in my opinion) and have at it.

Just my suggestion.

Old 09-25-07, 12:06 PM
Wink

Might check code there. lot of codes now call for a dedicated circuit to the furnace. With a cut off switch at the top of the stairs to the basement.