air conditioner circuit

Old 09-22-07, 02:41 PM
air conditioner circuit

I'm looking to put a window air conditioner in a pole barn. Probably 18000-24000 btu's. The units I'm looking at are 240vac, 15 to 20 amp. I have a spare unused 240VAC 30 Amp circuit in the vicinity of where the ac will be placed.

Any issues with running the ac on this 30 amp circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-07, 04:33 PM
Yes. If the manufacturer calls for a 20 amp circuit, you need a 20 amp circuit. Look at the requirements for the unit, they will dictate the circuit.

Old 09-22-07, 04:45 PM
Smile

Two cents from a novice. Actually some more details are in order, I believe before one of the pro's can give you a definite answer. What do you mean by "the units I'm looking at are 15 to 20 amps. Is this the running load amps or the nomeclature recommended circuit breaker to put it on? If so I would put it on a 20amp c/b. Compressor amperage changes with conditions. (including lack of maintenance) and wires can get warm. I would personally rather have a tripped C/B on a rare super hot day than having an oversized C/B. Does the window air conditioner's you "are looking at" require two hots and a neutral with a Ground or just two hots with a ground. Which do you have available? The 10 gauge wire would of course be ample.

Old 09-22-07, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If this is going to be virtually a dedicated use otulet for the a/c, why can't he just down size the circuit breaker to 20 amps and leave the oversized wiring?

Old 09-22-07, 05:09 PM
Smile

Who said he couldn't?? (lol) have a great week-end

Old 09-22-07, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, Bob said he needed a 20 amp circuit. When I hear the word "circuit", it sounds more than just a breaker. Could be wrong in his interpretation though.

You have a good weekend also. My day went by way too fast today. Almost one down, one to go.

Old 09-22-07, 05:37 PM
He can certainly use the 10 gage wire. A 20 amp circuit means a 20 amp breaker and wire suitable for that size breaker and usage.

I will stress again that what matters is what the unit calls for. If the documentation stipulates a 20 amp circuit, then it needs to have a 20 amp circuit breaker.