Switch loop wiring

Old 09-23-07, 09:49 AM
Switch loop wiring

I have power(14/2 wire separate circuit) coming in at the last of four ceiling lights(4). The switch is at the end of the circuit.

I understand how the wiring goes for the switch to the first light(1). But what I don't understand is how the wiring goes from light (1) to light (2) to light (3) to light (4) to circuit breaker.

If I did not explain this correctly please say so I thank you much in advance for your help.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-07, 10:22 AM
Switch always disconnects power (black wire). Run black from breaker box to first light black, then to black from that light to #2, and so on to # four. Run black from black #4 light to switch. Run a white (with black tape around it near switch and at light #4 to identify it as a 'hot' wire) from other switch terminal to white of light #4, then white from #4 to # 3, and so on til light #1 where the white from breaker box, white from Light #1 and #2 get combined.
I believe this should work for you.

Old 09-23-07, 10:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll want 14/2 going from breaker panel to your switch.

From your switch to your first light you will want 14/3 cable.

You will then use 14/2 from the first light to the rest of the lights.

I recommend getting a few books on residential wiring first. They will help you out alot.

Old 09-23-07, 11:38 AM
Switch loop

I have power(14/2 wire separate circuit) coming in at the last of four ceiling lights(4). The switch is at the end of the run.
(circuit breaker, four lights, then switch at end of cable run)

I understand how the wiring goes for the switch to the first light(1). But what I don't understand is how the wiring goes from light (1) to light (2) to light (3) to light (4) to circuit breaker.

If I did not explain this correctly please say so I thank you much in advance for your help.

Bob

Old 09-23-07, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by mrboyd View Post
I have power(14/2 wire separate circuit) coming in at the last of four ceiling lights(4). The switch is at the end of the run.
(circuit breaker, four lights, then switch at end of cable run)

Bob
Just bear with me with this one from the breaker to the first lumiaire [ light fixure ] that one you use the 14-2 then you switchover to 14-3 NM cable.

this what you do here you hook up the black from the 14-2 to black 14-3 [ this part you dont tie into the lumiaire at all you will see why in a min ] the red wire from 14-3 is tied to the black lumiaire wire.

then all the whites tie together do the same next 2 lumiaires the same way when you get to the last one this will be slightly diffrent here the white wire from 14-3 is tied to the lumiaire netual [ white wire ] only.

the black from 14-3 will tie to the 14-2 to the switch loop but becarefull here please the 14-2 white wire from switch loop please remark that one with diffrent colour marker or tape then tie to the red wire and the black wire from the lumiaire together.

then at the swich loop you have 14-2 there at the switch box please remark the white wire again so you know this is will be a hot feed not a netual in case someone else have a funny idea with it and hook up a reguar switch first [ you can install the dimmer later after the test first in case something go wrong with it so you dont smoke the good dimmer ]

It should work as i described here

Merci , Marc

if more question please do post it here

Old 09-23-07, 03:18 PM
bob22's directions are wrong. Do not follow them, they will not work.

Old 09-23-07, 04:08 PM
ddr
note for bob22/ question for HotinOKC

bob22: racraft beat me to it, but since I already wrote this out:

While you are correct that the hot is always switched, the hot feed should go through the switch BEFORE connecting to the lights. If you you connect the black from the breaker to the hot leads of the lights and then to the switch, you have energized hots at the lights even if the switch is off, which is dangerous because anyone changing a bulb could act as the neutral return themselves and get electrocuted if they had the misfortune to touch the socket base or the base of the bulb.

Also, the switch loop white is hot and would therefore not be connected to the white leads of the lights. The white light leads are for neutral use only.

You'll want 14/2 going from breaker panel to your switch.

From your switch to your first light you will want 14/3 cable.

You will then use 14/2 from the first light to the rest of the lights.
HotinOKC: I'm confused (which is sadly not uncommon): If 14/2 is run from the breaker to the switch, why would 14/3 be needed to go between the switch and the lights? Wouldn't the neutral pass through the switch box to the neutral leads of the lights while the black would pass through the switch an then on to the hot leads?

Old 09-23-07, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
bob22's directions are wrong. Do not follow them, they will not work.
Racraft,
I don't see why they wouldn't as (at least I think I did) I described a circuit with the lights in parallel and the circuit being interrupted by the switch.
I'd appreciate understanding where my error was.
THanks,
Bob

Old 09-23-07, 05:39 PM
I got it figured out

I decided to do things different. I had the wiring ran ahead of time thinking that it would work out with the switch loop.

I kept the switch loop for one light and put the other lights on a different switch.

I knew the 14/3 wire would work perfect but I did not have any.

Gentlemen thank you for your time.

Bob

Old 09-23-07, 06:21 PM
bob22, I did not have a chance to post more because I was in a hurry to get out the door.

Your post will short the hot and return when the switch is turned on and immediately trip the breaker.

Whenever you have multiple lights to be controlled by a single switch, it is best to wire one light working with the switch, then wire the additional lights in parallel to the first light.

You can certainly go through the lights with your wiring to the switch, but then you need three conductor cable (14-3 or 12-3) between the lights. For some people the wiring for this is hard to understand, which why I suggest that you avoid it.

Old 09-24-07, 12:37 AM
i was reviewing this part and i agree with Recraft on this part with the wiring set up i know one person did descrbed the connection {Bob22} unforeally it will make a direct short on this type of manner.

MrBoyd:

Really i think the wisest thing is run the 14-2 romax from breaker box to the switch first then go to the lumiaire[s] this is the easiet way as what Racraft describing in safe manner and you can use my connection too if you are confortable with this but if you want to keep it simple go with Racraft way.

Merci , Marc

sorry i did not get a chance to check it here for a while today [ service call ]