Range Hood rough in

Old 09-23-07, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Range Hood rough in

What is the exact location (in inches above the cooktop) where I should run the circuit for a range hood? I haven't bought the range hood yet, but it will be a wall mounted, chimney style, 36" installed 30" above a gas cooktop. I assume this will be hardwired (??). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-07, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by walks View Post
What is the exact location (in inches above the cooktop) where I should run the circuit for a range hood? I haven't bought the range hood yet, but it will be a wall mounted, chimney style, 36" installed 30" above a gas cooktop. I assume this will be hardwired (??). Thanks.
Check the specs on the hood... thats where I would start...

Old 09-23-07, 05:18 PM
As I said, I haven't purchased the hood yet. Are they all different??

Old 09-23-07, 05:27 PM
In new construction I have seen a liberal stub of romex pulled through the wall at some probably assumed-to-be-close-enough spot.

If it's off by a few inches, the electrician will cut a new hole and fish the romex back. The sheetrock can be patched easily. The biggest issue would be if there's a stud in between the two points. Then you might have to make a bigger hole to drill through the stud and fish the wire through there.

The junction box on my hood is on the right side, with knockouts for rear and top entry. Height is determined by the hood specs. For example my hood book said to install it 24-30" above the burners. I suppose that's based on how it looks, how powerful the fan is, and how large an area the hood is supposed to draw from.

So, as previously mentioned, you really need to know which hood's going to be installed if you want to do anything more precise than just estimate.

Old 09-23-07, 08:07 PM
Alot of hoods are right hand feeds, so if nothing else I would bury a loop of wire in the wall, take a picture and dig it out in the future...

Old 09-23-07, 08:53 PM
I believe the code is 24"min. above electric cooktop, 30" min. above gas cooktop. I'll have gas, so the bottom of the hood will be 30" above the cooktop.

All of the chimney styles I've seen have the 'chimney' part going up in the middle (toward the ceiling), extending maybe 3 to 5" each side of center. Can the NM-B be run down that chimney section to the hood's junction box (of course outside the duct but within the stainless steel facade)? If so, running the circuit anywhere toward the middle at least 36" or more above the cooktop seems like it should work. However, with all the chimney style hoods I've looked at in the stores and on the internet, I have not been able to see what the back or inside of it looks like.

Old 09-23-07, 09:47 PM
Is this a commercial installation?

Old 09-23-07, 10:18 PM
No, it's for my home.

Old 09-24-07, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I would recommend picking out your range hood first, or plan on making some changes after the drywall is up. I just installed a Bosch chimney-style hood, and it comes with a hard-wired cord and plug. So the best option was to install with a recessed plug hidden behind the chimney (like a clock receptacle), since I couldn't figure out how to place a normal receptacle so it would be hidden.

I'm sure though that each mfg makes it 'easy' in their own way.

Old 09-24-07, 12:58 PM
Zorfdt, I sure hope that receptacle is NOT hidden. I think the proper place for it would have been inside the cabinet above the hood or inside a nearby cabinet..

Old 09-24-07, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
racraft - Hidden as in hidden from sight behind the stainless steel "chimney". It's still accessible by removing the cover (2 screws), so I feel is quite accessible.

I brought this up because the op stated a chimney type range hood (which appear to be all the rage now). There is no cabinet above the hood, and the adjacent cabinets are usually a few inches away - so it makes it a bit more difficult.

Additionally, the instructions were a lot of help, "... and plug in the hood to a 15A circuit." (no mention of placement, etc.)

Old 09-24-07, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Zorfdt, I sure hope that receptacle is NOT hidden. I think the proper place for it would have been inside the cabinet above the hood or inside a nearby cabinet..
There is no cabinet, thats why its behind the duct, which is defiantly not a problem. the only problem I see is the dumbxxx manufacture that came up with this design...